drewiee99

G60 2 years on, engine out because i was bored

Yep, very nice.

It's a bit heart breaking taking it out on the road for the first time.

Fingers crossed your first few trips are dry :)

ok a few little updates as ive been to busy thrashing it, all the rear end is on and it it works which is a bonus feels nice and tight. I was asked take one of my customers to newport pagnall to pick his DB9 up as there was a few rattles, i think he had a shock when he got in the bone shaker. I parked outside and i was asked to move round the corner as AstonMartin parking only i told the guy 'this is a classic' he didint look impressed. Had a good look round there were cars from all over the world getting serviced there, including a orange Morgan Aero max. In the restoration section there were a few very nice old classics a db4 in white on a ramp it was pure perfection, you might as well take all the oil out the engine because it will prob never get used. If anyone is interested there after a trainee in the leather upholstery shop.

I also attended supercar sunday with a few of my customers cars a black DB9 and the M5. Got a colour sand on a z4 alpina, the guy wants it to look as good as the M5.

hey pal, your car is silly-clean; lovely to see it still getting that kind of attention from you. :clap:

top marks with the dedication - great to see another corrado getting that sort of lavishment

loving your various other piccies as well - although i want a new shape m5 now!

nice update pal :D

Ok started getting the front suspension off today and the wishbones ball joint etc, it was preety dirty ans most the parts i changed about 2 years ago the garage fitted all febi bits and there shot. I also tried the new twinpot calipers to just to see if they fit, they are much bigger than standard and the pads are huge Dave at DG said the pad area are bigger than 288mm.

standard g60 pad area = 83.3 sqmm

twinpot pad area =97.15 sqmm

Hi mate - yeah that's the problem with Febi stuff - last exactly 2 years! - been there done that...

Those callipers are good but also awfully heavy!

Is you're G60 ABS?? - Just if not you may have issues with the Master Cylinder not being big enough, ideally you need the 24mm one from the UR Quattro to match the calipers.

Very interesting thread... can't believe I haven't read this before! I'm a donut! :lol:

Top work mate! Your car is mint!

nice calipers Drew - what are they from?

clearly Steve got in there before me with the master cylinder comment!

surprised you haven't had the new brakes refurbed before they go on knowing you and your car...

(or is that what you're now waiting for...)

Hi hope you all well, the g60 back on the road after getting R32 bushes done and new bilstien shocks, ball joints and tie rod ends then a visit to DG thanks to Graham for doing the tracking for me. So for the last 4 weeks been enjoying getting some driving done. Went out today for a 20miles blast in the country got stuck behind sunday drivers a few times, and people pulling out onto a national speed limit roads paying no attention to whats coming.

I think a new clutch is needed soon as struggled to get gears at 6750rpm, plenty of sliding and lift off over steer on greasy islands and plenty wheel spinning, and trying to stay in a straight line. :clap:

im paying the price now as the whole car is covered in a thin film of road salt. :mad2:

Nice.. my Storm is due back from the paintshop soon.

I am NOT driving it home. It IS coming back on a lorry even if Kip says that's a silly idea though heaven knows why he thinks its silly. :cuckoo:

I wonder if we can claim for it as an expense incurred due to Kips accident? If it wasn't for that the Storm would have been in the paintshop in Oct but I held off to take it to the NEC.

hi all a few updates been a little quiet as work is picking up and getting busy, dont worry i wont be ready for stanford hall got to much to do. I started to take the front end apart again as got board, there were a few bit like the calipers and brake hose clips corroded which were bugging me and also the hubs were bad to. I knew i was not going to get them looking there best without blasting them, but i found deox gel from bilt hamber a thick paste which will lift corrostion away so i gave it a go. I used it on the hubs and lots of bolts you paste it on cover with cling film leave 24 hours and rinse, i was amazed it turns a brown colour lifts the rust off, saved me buying new bolts.

I also got a few bits blasted reay for coating.just deciding on colours

Looking goood matey! :) what did you actually repaint it all with then? or is it still in its raw unpainted state? looks like good stuff that rust gel.

looking clean and sharp those parts, durty corroded stuff bugs me too :) been meaning to get some of that gel, where did you buy it from?

i brought it from bilt hamber direct it was good for bolts etc but most of ot was sand blasted. ive just had the stuff back and i have a few bits missings like the fittings for the mudflaps which is not good, (if anyone has any ill take them) and the anodizing colour looks like camo green, and i wanted silver. the black pasivate had come up nice though. just got to remember were it all goes

i have a few bits missings like the fittings for the mudflaps which is not good

Sounds like the person doing the anodising is a wally... Was it them that misplaced it? I'd kick up a stink for that...

Edited by Alex_G60_Fanatic

just bought the dexo gel and also the crystal one after reading here, looks like good stuff and am sure i can make use of it

a few more pics from tonight started to put things back on i suprised myself i knew were it all went. just waiting for new braided hoses and s2 calipers get coated next week and maybe get the sump anodized.

Looks really tidy. I can only dream of my engine bay being that clean. If I won the lottery I would definitely buy a rado and completely restore it with all new parts

Hi all i hope all is well been over 3 years since drove the corrado last so thought i would update you people, i know a few folks have seen it over the past few months so whats been happening? Sept 2011 was the last time i used the car so put it away in storage and really didnt get time or the money to use it as trying to keep the business afloat, but 1 day got board so decided to do a proper OCD clean and remove the engine ETC as this is the only way i would be happy with the car. So after advice from Graham @ DG autotech got my trusty halfords tool kit out and started removing parts, in hindsight i should of took a lot more info of where pars go. Never the less after a few weeks all brackets,charger,radiator etc all off now just get the crane to lift the engine out,it was a bit of a ball ache to be fair on my own not knowing what to do but managed it now the hard work begins.

Ill try and keep the tread going with more updates i really wanted to get it to stanford hall but it didn't happen as uncovering many paint issues so may be 2015 so looking for a repaint but more on this later.

Seen this in the flesh and the work on it is pretty special. I had a decat off Drew for my Mk2 and the reason he wanted rid was because there was a tiny chunk missing off the flange, made no difference to the sealing of the exhaust. He just could not live with the idea that it was there and therefore the car not being perfect.

Cracking car Drew, after all the years you have owned it you are giving it the restoration it deserves (not that there was a lot wrong in the first place!)

After the engine was out i shipped it over to Graham DG autotech and removed the cylinder head for inspection and found a lot of oil build up on the top of the pistons and head and vertical score marks on the cylinder liners letting oil round the piston rings. We concluded when i changed the cylinder head a few years previously there must of been debris particles left on the pistons which caused these score marks, there was also significant wear at the top of the bore a pronounced ridge more than what would be expected for a 50K engine.

With this in mind i started to clean the piston and all the bottom end was also stripped and the crank removed then the block went to the 'man in a shed'(local old engineer) who re honed the block for me.