Sign in to follow this  
Kempy

hidden tailpipes

Are those FK smoked rear lights? They actually look like they are properly aligned (some I've seen are awful), did you make any mods to get them to fit correctly?

cool little thread. im looking to do mine soon, i have a spare rear bumper for it in my loft so if anyone else is planning to do this in the next few months p/m me as i wont be using the whole thing (i dont want anything for the bits just cover the postage or come get it :) ), this spare bumper could probably do 3 fill ins including my own.

looking forward to the outcome of this

I've got my spare piece and picking up a donor bumper off mk3-damo next weekend, not sure when I am gonna start this though. Be good for us all to post up some progress pics/techniques as I've never done this sort of thing before.

Try to make sure the plastic you use to fill the gap is exactly the same as the plastic you weld it to.

There is a specalist tool and process, but thats boring and you wont have access to it.

Basically use a hot air gun with a thin end attatched to it (if not, just be careful of surrounding area when using heat) Clean paint from edges to be joined, sand a 45degree angle onto side to be joined, clamp in place when happy with position, use a strip of same plastic and melt it into the 45degree angle, so it melts to both the doner piece and the bumper and fills the gap so its flush.

Itl have to have a coat or two of filler anyway

:salute:

do you think there is any need for plastic rods?

and I take it both sides of the join and the rod all need to be heated so that they weld together?

The rod is the strip of same plastic you push into the gap, no point in going and buying rods of the correct plastic, use the doner bumper and just cut thin strips, clean paint from it and use as a rod.

Yeah you need to heat the area ur welding so all three bits melt together basically

I'm looking at hot air guns on the net, what is the temp needed to melt/weld? Im looking at ones with 600 degrees.

Dunno wot temps they need to be on, we just turn the temp setting thing to maximum and if its too hot, turn it down. Better to be able to turn it down then not to be able to turn it up!

I picked up my donor bumper today, complete with subframe, but how does this come off? I've removed the inserts that secure the clips, but the frame still doesn't seperate from the bumper - any ideas chaps?

Also, I am going to fill in the tow eye cover, what type of filler do I need to do this?

think you need to squeeze the two pieces of plastic together and push them through after you have pushed the insert's out.i did it 2 at a time from one end .once 2 are out wedge something there to stop them popping back in and then do the next 2.

think you need to squeeze the two pieces of plastic together and push them through after you have pushed the insert's out.i did it 2 at a time from one end .once 2 are out wedge something there to stop them popping back in and then do the next 2.

Thanks for this, I used a pair of pliers to gently squeeze them, once a few were done it came off really easily!

if you read the thread it tells you :wink:

:epicfail: Oh yea......had just done a search for a pic and got carried away as am thinking of doing the same!!

Pointer much appriciated! :cheers: