Sign in to follow this  
fullpint

Hoping to get my first Corrado tomorrow.

Ok apart from the main things should I be looking out for any thing in particular?

Right its not a G60 or VR spec but its a start..

I'm looking to buy a one owner 2.0l 8V on a 'M' plate..FSH with 12 months MOT, cars done 112k and is totally standard apart from a CD player..Even the active rear spoiler still works :clap:

sounds very nice, 8v is good :) where is it for sale??!! :norty:

good luck tomorrow, what colour is it?

sounds very nice, 8v is good :) where is it for sale??!! :norty:

good luck tomorrow, what colour is it?

Its White but thats ok cause I love cleaning my cars.....Car is in Wales about 15 miles over the bridge..

an 8v should be a very sound car, they should start an run cleanly, smoothly and quietly, strong old engine.

Just the usual stuff really, leaks, nasty noises, make sure it drives straight, the gearbox is quiet and a reasonable change, but most of all check the body is straight, you can always source a mk3 8v engine for 100 quid, but bodywork repairs or putting right bad repairs could be very very costly.

Some of the worst things I've seen are rear arch damage that then gets corrosion, and corrosion around the windscreen as a result of poor screen fitting/damage.

Cheers mate..I will drive along with no hands :lol: :lol: hopefully the car will remain in a straight line...Will pay attention to those rear arches as well..

8V's are great, I can confirm that as I bought one as my first Corrado back in September. Apart from the usual lack of maintenance by previous owner issues, its all great, and in fact I'm just in the process of replacing most of the front suspension to make it even greater!

If its the white one in Wales that I'm thinking of (with the white chin spoiler?) then it might be worth doing a HPi check on the car. I'm sure I saw a thread around here recently (can't find it on the search) saying that a white 8V on eBay was actually a cat-D write off which hadn't been declared by the owner in the advert. Now that doesn't mean anything particularly bad as cat-D is generally light cosmetic damage such as bumpers, lights etc - enough of an expense to the insurer to not be cost-effective to repair, but not bad enough damage to take the car off the road. Bear in mind that with used car prices at rock bottom, the trade price of a Corrado 8V is probably in the region of £500-£1000 maximum, so it wouldn't take much to write one off if you factor in the cost of replacement parts + labour + any paint etc.

I think it could be a great bargaining point if it is the car in question, I just think it'd be worth doing the HPi check to be sure.

Hope that helps, sorry to sound like a bit of a doom-mongerer, wasn't my intention!

Let us know how you get on :)

Tom

Congratulations!! :grin:

Hope all goes well tomorow and you are a happy corrado owner! Please dont be put off by the "IS your Corrado the most unreliable car you've ever owned?" Its just a joke thread! Honest! :D

If its the white one in Wales that I'm thinking of (with the white chin spoiler?) then it might be worth doing a HPi check on the car. I'm sure I saw a thread around here recently (can't find it on the search) saying that a white 8V on eBay was actually a cat-D write off which hadn't been declared by the owner in the advert. Now that doesn't mean anything particularly bad as cat-D is generally light cosmetic damage such as bumpers, lights etc - enough of an expense to the insurer to not be cost-effective to repair, but not bad enough damage to take the car off the road. Bear in mind that with used car prices at rock bottom, the trade price of a Corrado 8V is probably in the region of £500-£1000 maximum, so it wouldn't take much to write one off if you factor in the cost of replacement parts + labour + any paint etc.

I think it could be a great bargaining point if it is the car in question, I just think it'd be worth doing the HPi check to be sure.

Hope that helps, sorry to sound like a bit of a doom-mongerer, wasn't my intention!

Let us know how you get on :)

Tom

Yeah, it was on edition38 as well... linky ----> http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.p ... pic=198137

God I hope its not :( Deal is done and I now have the car..My insurance company didn't flag any thing up on so hopefully the one i have is not the car in question...

You guys have me a little concerned now :shock: Yep ok some peeps do a HPI check but all the cars I have owned (must be 30 odd) I have never done it :shrug: Anyway apart from that I am VERY IMPRESSED with it..Drove A1 back over the bridge with every thing working as is should. Got to sort the drivers side door handle out but one came with the car..

It was nice n clean until I drove it back on the M4 so tomorrow I will give is a hose down n polish and post a pic for you lot to see..

I'm afraid the chances of it being a different white 8v in Caerphilly with 112k miles is fairly slim mate, but if the car looks and goes well and was cheap then it shouldn't really matter!

I would allways suggest to anyone that a HPI check is worth doing, especially now you can do them instantly by text for a few quid! At least if you know about it in advance you can check the car even more vigorously. As others have said though, for a rado to be written off in Nov 08 then it could have been for a silly little reason like attempted brake in or slight ding!

One thing i'd also say about the car in question is that the plastic arch liners are missing.

I'm afraid the chances of it being a different white 8v in Caerphilly with 112k miles is fairly slim mate, but if the car looks and goes well and was cheap then it shouldn't really matter!

:iamwithstupid: And Cat D is nothing to worry about. The things Corrados get written off for these days it was probably a cracked indicator or something.

God I hope its not :( Deal is done and I now have the car..My insurance company didn't flag any thing up on so hopefully the one i have is not the car in question...

You guys have me a little concerned now :shock: Yep ok some peeps do a HPI check but all the cars I have owned (must be 30 odd) I have never done it :shrug: Anyway apart from that I am VERY IMPRESSED with it..Drove A1 back over the bridge with every thing working as is should. Got to sort the drivers side door handle out but one came with the car..

It was nice n clean until I drove it back on the M4 so tomorrow I will give is a hose down n polish and post a pic for you lot to see..

Cat D is normally just an uneconomical repair (may have had a minor knock on an obsolete part!) so I wouldn't be too worried and if you're happy with how it drives and looks then thats cool :) I guess it just would've been nice to have been told by the seller really rather than them passing the car off as 100% legit and straight and you could've saved a fair bit of cash haggling him down.

You peoples are so much more friendly than some on the Punto Forum I'm on. Mainly the adim/mods that is..

Ok YES the car is confirmed as a cat 'D' but the more I think about the happier I am,,strange I know..And tomorrow when I get my cleaning rags and polish out I will have a hugh smile on my face..Guess I will have to post pic up in the gallery section for you lot to assess :p I can hear it now :D Lower it...

Got to fit a new drivers door handle. Have already done a search to see how..Found a few posts so should be an easy job..Same goes for the front spots..Splitter has been replaced so perhaps this could be the cat D part!!!

Yeah cat D is no big deal. I know a few guys who wrote cars off, bought them back from insurance companies and got them back on the road. It's amazing how much insurance repair quotes come to, so older cars are written off pretty easily.

Hope you enjoy your new toy :D

According to the ED38 link, questions were asked! the seller said it was cat D'd because the one previous owners boyfriend trashed the car in some kinda rage :camp: at the end of the day, possibly a very well looked after car and if it drives as well as you say :clap: well done :wave: