Sign in to follow this  
Riley

Aftermarket front bumpers - Whats available? Pics anyone?

Anyone running an aftermarket front bumper? What you got? Pics?

Im having a b/\stard of a time modifying mine, and ive got p\ssed off with useless painters/body guys. :bad-words: so may have to give in and go aftermarket. :(

Hopefully there is something subtle out there but with room for fmic flow.

Neil.

This was mine before going back to OE. It was a Rieger one that was bonded to the top half of the original bumper so it was really solid and fitted really well.

I really don't like any of the aftermarket options and especially don't like the type posted above (sorry!). I think the best look for the C is to keep the standard bumper and lose the plate recess... anything else is verging on Chav IMO!

I tend to agree Phil :)

Just wondering if maybe there's something that dosn't look too bad, im a bit undecided on the Reiger...but im leaning towards a no.

I did modify the original, and got it as tidy as i could before painting it myself, but an incorrectly labelled spray tin from halfords meant i ended up taking it to a painter. I told him to tidy the edges etc for mesh to sit behind but i wasn't happy with the finish. Especially when the paint FELL OFF! after having some low tack masking tape on there...

DSC05879.jpg

DSC05882.jpg

DSC05889.jpg

I'd work with what you've got tbh mate... bit of patients and you'll have it looking sweet in no time!

Fooking hell! :shock: :gag: ! Thats the worst looking bumper ive ever seen in my life :lol:

Phil...I had started on making a fibreglass mold to sit in the recess to cover the crap edges but im no body guy, i just tend to have a go at things whether i can do em or not. Id like to have someone do it, but im getting expensive quotes on a bumper which ive only just had painted and already put a lot of time/effort into. :(

DSC05892.jpg

frontbumperfibreglass2009.jpg

frontbumperfibreglass20091.jpg

frontbumperfibreglass20093.jpg

frontbumperfibreglass20092.jpg

frontbumpertwo.jpg

frontbumpertwo2.jpg

frontbumpertwo4.jpg

This is what id done before the incorrect metallic paint went on and then took it to be painted...

fmicproject30.jpg

Filled the inner part with fibreglass to make better flow to the intercooler that sits behind.

fmicproject39.jpg

I filled/flatted it, then plastic primed the whole bumper with spray tins from halfords.

fmicproject42.jpg

fmicbumperprimed2.jpg

Now when i was painting it (again with tins from halfords) all was well until the last tin i used was incorrectly labelled, it was metallic black!

bumperpaintedonce1.jpg

So i decided to get the bumper painted elsewhere...I told the guy what i had done so it would need flatting right back. And this is the important part, see same pic again below...Where i had cut the hole, the plastic was furry on the edges, i used various grades and couldn't get it perfect. The painter told me he would sort it and make it mint for me to fit some mesh behind there.

fmicproject30.jpg

It looked 'ok' at a distance...The plate is made from plastic mesh which i painted my number plate onto.

fmicbumperrefitted.jpg

fmicproject36.jpg

That ddi probably sosnt look TOO bad on a dark rado, but aye...wrong positioning...Im not a fan of having the plate recess smoothed off tbh.

Intercooler sits right behind the hole/dodgy number plate i made.

Im just p|ssed off with it now, after having done a decent job of painting it myself etc then having an idiot paint it, and now having to flat it right back again :censored:

fmicrunningoutside2.jpg

Some inspiration from the euro boys on how not to do it. :pukeright: (tho the second one is ok)

DSC00095.jpg

DSC00097.jpg

DSC00112.jpg

DSC00132.jpg

DSC00142.jpg

DSC00145.jpg

DSC00166.jpg