Sign in to follow this  
jenks

Complete VSR - Value?

That's a shame your engine didn't make what you were hoping for as it was a nice spec! You went for 11.5:1 forged pistons IIRC?

I think the problem of pushing a normally aspirated VR6 past 230-240hp is the head flow, or complete lack of. Which is where turbos start coming into the equation lend a helping hand!

I'm fairly confident a 3.2 24V can be made to do the magic 100hp/litre as it has massively better flow.

Could that be your next move Jon?

That's a shame your engine didn't make what you were hoping for as it was a nice spec! You went for 11.5:1 forged pistons IIRC?

I think the problem of pushing a normally aspirated VR6 past 230-240hp is the head flow, or complete lack of. Which is where turbos start coming into the equation lend a helping hand!

I'm fairly confident a 3.2 24V can be made to do the magic 100hp/litre as it has massively better flow.

Could that be your next move Jon?

Nooo! No mincing 11½:1 pistons for me, I managed to get 12:1 compression. I'll let you imagine how I felt when Wossner announced some 13:1 jobbies about 3 weeks after my box arrived

:(

Don't get me wrong the engine is quite strong, has great torque, makes a huge noise (and crappy economy!). I've just given up trying to work out what the issue is; it's bound to be some kind of part matching, or pressure, or sensor issue, but we've tried everythiinng we can think or for the time being. In fact the VSR flows fairly well compared to the standard ABV inlet, which itself flows a lot better than the inlets fitted to the SLC. I not only had a big valve head, but also the head and exhaust ports all flowed too, so it should easily be making 250+. The issue lies elsewhere, undiscovered. Elusive.

Like you say - a real shame because it's got all the parts to be a complete monster (for a NA car!)

I've been pondering an R32 swap for quite a few months, and I may do it still. Job uncertainly has put those thoughts on hold. Frankly I'm just as minded when that decision comes to swap the whole car for an E39 M5 instead, which is a helluva lot quicker and comfier than an R32'd rado would ever be. The credit crunch is making these things affordable these days!

John

Hello!! that is a fine looking bit of kit.

So about the VSR Jenks, is it for sale?? :D It would be good to see what it would make..... would go nice with my new Carbonio induction kit too :clap:

errrmmmm check the for sale section..................................................... :wink:

Frankly I'm just as minded when that decision comes to swap the whole car for an E39 M5 instead, which is a helluva lot quicker and comfier than an R32'd rado would ever be. The credit crunch is making these things affordable these days!

Yep, been looking at that car myself! That and the Z3M Coupe are my fave M cars. I also have an urge to stick a Chevy LS2 engine into something, maybe an M5 :D

Frankly I'm just as minded when that decision comes to swap the whole car for an E39 M5 instead, which is a helluva lot quicker and comfier than an R32'd rado would ever be. The credit crunch is making these things affordable these days!

Yep, been looking at that car myself! That and the Z3M Coupe are my fave M cars. I also have an urge to stick a Chevy LS2 engine into something, maybe an M5 :D

There is already a subframe kit available in the USA to transplant a LS-series engine into a Porsche 944 shell, and I did look into it before making the decision to do my Corrado rebuild. Indeed the LS2 engine weighs less than the 2.5 Porsche engine it replaces. I reckoned that such a car could be built for under £14k and would have been an absolute rocket (and uninsurable!). It would have also had side exhausts - just [strike:1kj1b905]for when I got[/strike:1kj1b905] in case of flames you understand :shades:

I think an engine transplant like that would be a bit wasted on an M5 (cheaper to start with a 520i base car). Whole E39's with good history are now common under £9k. Must... resist... spending... money...

Yeah it is a bit O/T, oh well. I don't feel guilty hijacking a pointless "what's it worth?" thread anyway :D

I hear what you're saying about the M5 not needing an LS2 lump, but the M5 lump (according to a few sources) isn't the most robust of engines. The 4.4 version of it in the 540i is very strong, but due the VANOS and nikasil issues, the 5 litre version in the M isn't strong.... Still, like you say, £9K with history has to be worth a punt!