Sign in to follow this  
jenks

Complete VSR - Value?

Ok I dont normally do this but I need a 'ball park value' of a VW Motorsport Pierburg VSR complete with vacuum bottle, hoses and factory controller box which i believe is the full kit to get it installed and running before your remap of course. Dont want to break any rules and annoy the mods but im keeping quiet if im the buyer or seller :wink:

Ive read up on them from the search and they seem very rare?

TIA

Jenks

The last two I saw sell went for £1250 and £1000 respectively. Neither were 100% perfect though.

Also seen them fetch $2k-$2.5k in the states.

Normal Schrick VSR's have dropped a fair bit in the 2nd hand market so not sure if this will affect VW VSR residuals :shrug:

Personally I would say it has to be worth a grand to someone though. But then I would say that since I have one myself :grin:

If you have (or need) a genuine VW Motorsport VSR you will also need the earlier "concertina" inlet pipe connecting the MAF & Throttle Body (or a Samco pipe equivalent) as the later (95 on) hard plastic pipe will not fit the VSR (because the throttle body fits at a different angle to a stock inlet). You will also need to modify (or procure) a small modified elbow pipe which connects to the front side of TB.

Ok I dont normally do this but I need a 'ball park value' of a VW Motorsport Pierburg VSR complete with vacuum bottle, hoses and factory controller box which i believe is the full kit to get it installed and running before your remap of course. Dont want to break any rules and annoy the mods but im keeping quiet if im the buyer or seller :wink:

Ive read up on them from the search and they seem very rare?

TIA

Jenks

Only worth what someone's willing to pay and if you want to test that best thing is to stick it on the bay

I'd like one but wouldn't pay silly money for one and it would have to be in good, original condition i.e. not polished, number intact etc :)

If you have (or need) a genuine VW Motorsport VSR you will also need the earlier "concertina" inlet pipe connecting the MAF & Throttle Body (or a Samco pipe equivalent) as the later (95 on) hard plastic pipe will not fit the VSR (because the throttle body fits at a different angle to a stock inlet). You will also need to modify (or procure) a small modified elbow pipe which connects to the front side of TB.

The Schrick also suffers from a dipped TB angle, but V9 delivery pipework is perfectly do-able.

BTW – the last VSR, said by seller [a Nottingham breaker] to be complete with the peripheral kit and controller, I saw on ebay last Julyish, went for £800 to a Scottish guy.

I missed it by 3 minutes!

Im 95% certain that it has the earlier inlet pipe, not sure on the modified elbow pipe.

Thanks for the replys guys.

BTW – the last VSR, said by seller [a Nottingham breaker] to be complete with the peripheral kit and controller, I saw on ebay last Julyish, went for £800 to a Scottish guy.

was just going to say that!!!

Is it for sale then?? :D

For the newbies...what is a VSR? :confused4:

Here you go mate :D

viewtopic.php?t=22029&highlight=visible+schrick+vsr

Cheers, thanks for that. Seems a bit expensive for the added performance gains, however its rare so I imagine the VW geeks would get a semi for it :tongue:

I'd like so get a new 6-2-1 manifold, I used to have one on my Mk2 Golf (in 4-2-1 form obviously).

For the newbies...what is a VSR? :confused4:

Here you go mate :D

viewtopic.php?t=22029&highlight=visible+schrick+vsr

Cheers, thanks for that. Seems a bit expensive for the added performance gains, however its rare so I imagine the VW geeks would get a semi for it :tongue:

I'd like so get a new 6-2-1 manifold, I used to have one on my Mk2 Golf (in 4-2-1 form obviously).

LOL Thing is and addressing Kevs negative comments :tongue: It is the only performance mod for your VR6 which is maintenance free and reliable. Plus it also has the kudos of being a 'stock' VW item for the purists amongst us :wink: So basically combined with some cams and a remap it is the best option for people who dont like to get their hands dirty :D

was just going to say that!!!

Is it for sale then?? :D

Mine certainly isn't for sale! [sorry son!] :nono:

The schrick, SP263's and stg 1 V9 Vortech work well together on mine - even Vince was gob-smacked at the result - see bhp graph below [before & after 263's].

N426 YNN Power 080517.jpg[/attachment:3r5htu6i]

:nono: You wash your mouth out LOL

:lol:

Has anyone done a Schrick / VSR, Schimmel 263 cams, BMC filter and big bore throttle yet?

In the good old days that setup (but with Schrick 268s) used to make 220-225hp on a healthy VR6. And that was on 97 RON fuel.

I reckon with 99 RON V power and the 263s, it's gotta be knocking on the doors of 240hp?

I wish V power and the 263s were around when I fitted my Schrick + 268s 5 years ago :? Was never particularly bowled over by that combo tbh. I felt it was a very small gain for the outlay, hence my earlier remark :D

[

I reckon with 99 RON V power and the 263s, it's gotta be knocking on the doors of 240hp?

You reckon! :shock: :scratch: 8)

That is everything Im going to fit and i was gonna be happy with 220bhp :lol:

Is it really worth fitting the big bore throttle?????

Matt

Has anyone done a Schrick / VSR, Schimmel 263 cams, BMC filter and big bore throttle yet?

In the good old days that setup (but with Schrick 268s) used to make 220-225hp on a healthy VR6. And that was on 97 RON fuel.

I wish V power and the 263s were around when I fitted my Schrick + 268s 5 years ago :? Was never particularly bowled over by that combo tbh. I felt it was a very small gain for the outlay, hence my earlier remark :D

_leon_ has 263s and is on the look out for a schrick and an induction kit. so I think he'll be the first one to be N/A with the cams and manifold (philmo has both but is vortech'd).

_leon_ has 263s and is on the look out for a schrick and an induction kit. so I think he'll be the first one to be N/A with the cams and manifold (philmo has both but is vortech'd).

I have all three now :norty: Just depends how quickly I pull my finger out and get it all fitted :lol: (probably a long long time from now lol)

I've got the 268's with Shrick,BMC,6 branch and high flow cat but the car isn't running right :? I also have that big bore throttle purchased from yourself :wave: never fitted due to running issues and moving house :nuts: gonna get it sorted out soon :sleeping:

[

You reckon! :shock: :scratch: 8)

That is everything Im going to fit and i was gonna be happy with 220bhp :lol:

Is it really worth fitting the big bore throttle?????

Matt

Possibly! I was just thinking along the lines of VAG-HAG's car finding 26 hp from just the 263s. Yeah the big bore throttle allows more air in so helps the top end, plus if you extend the rev limit to 7K, 240hp should be possible.

But as I say, it does all depend on how good the engine is to begin with. I've some VRs make comparitively small gains, and some (like VAG-HAGs) exceed expectations!

OK, next thought..... I wonder what the 263s and Schimmel intake would achieve? Looking at this plot, ( http://www.spturbo.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=223 ) the schimmel intake on a completely standard 2.8 VR6 found 21whp. Sure it's mostly at the top end, but that would compliment the cams and BB throttle perfectly 8) You can see where the stock intake falls off early and both shut off at the limiter abruptly, but you can see the schimmel want's to keep climbing....only flattening off slightly at the top where the stock cams and throttle flow give up.

The stock intake does show a small midrange advantage from 3800 - 4500ish due to the longer runners, but the schimmel intake curve is very flat right across, which is a spot on!

I also have that big bore throttle purchased from yourself :wave: never fitted due to running issues and moving house :nuts: gonna get it sorted out soon :sleeping:

I was wondering how you were getting on with that :D

Funnily enough I moved house over the weekend too!

Shame there's no way to run a bmc with a short runner... You do lose the VRs original engine note with the short runner don't you?

You can if you relocate the battery :D

You can also get Short runners which have the option to have the throttle at either end, such as this fantastically sexy, orgasmic peice of kit - http://www.hpamotorsports.com/cvp.htm

That one is a 24V one, but I think the sister company in Germany (HGP) do one for the 12V, or very similar.

You do still get a VR6 warble with a Schimmel on a NA VR6, but it takes on a different character.... a lot harder edged....gruffer. Especially at high revs with a K&N filter. Sounds evil.

I have all that stuff, plus a lot more, including extra capacity, big compression, big revs, lightened/balanced parts everywhere - almost the entire shopping list except for titanium rods in fact. Despite lots and lots of thinking & effort this exotic has never made the target power (>250bhp) let alone what we had reason to hope for (~280bhp). After a year in development I've given up pouring time & money into trying to unearth the solution.

What I can say is that I've run standard (258) cams, 284 race cams (with solid lifters), and currently Schimmel 263s. The 263s work very well with a VSR as they're quite a torquey cam anyway. By comparison the 284s made lots of power right at the top, but we determined that the huge cam profile of the 284s conflicted with the VSR. In fact they worked a lot better when the VSR was taken off. As such I would say that based on my experience a 263/268 cam is about ideal for use with a VSR, and given the choice these Schimmel 263s would be the preferred choice as they punch above thier spec in an ABV (the 'magic cams' effect)

A big bore throttle body (which isn't easy to get these days) isn't going to make a huge difference on it's own. It's effect is more one of an 'enabler' when you start adding lots of parts together. In other words it won't make a huge difference on it's own, but when combined with lots of other things plays a part in the overall equation. A big-bore throttle body will also noticeably impact your mpg when you put your foot down so you've got to be sure you want it!

When trying to build a truly exotic specification engine all these bits need to work with each other in harmony to achieve the desired effect. I've been through the whole process of trying to achieve this and hit a wall (and an expensive one at that). My recommendation would be to go with the 263s, the VSR and a decent remap and leave it at that. Frankly for the money involved if you just want to achieve ma-hoo-sive power for sensible money it's more sensible to consider either a charger conversion or a 24v conversion.

But of course that's just my opinion. You are welcome to spend thousands and let me know the answer !