Sign in to follow this  
tobe_k

Need help...VR6 running problem

Hi there,

Been having some trouble recently. Car was running with a real lack of power and sounding pretty rough Took the plugs out and they were pretty white, so obviously figured it was a fuel problem, so starting with the cheapest first i changed the filter... Seemed to do the trick. Id been driving with a lack of power for a few days so when it felt faster i assumed it was like before, although i still think it wasnt pulling as hard. Anyway, seemed ok for a few days, but then after a day of not driving, its gone back to how it was today....

Last time it did it it was after not driving for a whole day.... weather this means anything or not i dont know...

Any ideas? Fuel pump? whats the best way to test this? Thought it might be an air leak after the MAF but cant find anything obvious...

Annoying me like hell, getting the fuel economy of a vr but its as slow as a peugeot 106!

Cheers guys. Tobe.

First of all get it scanned for fault codes. There are loads of people on here with the ability to do it, and most will help out for free if you are local to them. Post your location or look on the sticky at the top of this section.

I think getting the fault codes is the first thing i should do. Im in sheffield so ill try and find someone around this area who can help. Ill check the sticky thanks. And dr mat i know your right about it being flat off cam, but this is running flat right through the rev range. You can hear its not as smooth, sounds a bit like it needs to clear its throat....

Cheers for your help fellas

Does anyone know if there is anyone around the sheffield area with a VAG.com kit? Im heading to Leeds at the weekend if there is anyone there aswell. Im not sure which connector i have yet, ill have to check. Might be a problem cos my car was originally a 1.8 16v but its now a 2.8 VR6 from a golf so the plug might not be located under the gear gator as i believe 1.8s didnt have a diagnosis port there?

I hate driving a fast car slow....

Ive found out a mate of mine has the kit to run diagnosis, but.... i looked under the gear gator and i only have a single 2 pin black plug.... its a 93 VR6 engine from a golf so i take it it should have the white plug somewhere aswell? is the black 2 pin a diagnosis port for the 1.8 16v as it used to be?

No ABS no. Does that mean that i can run diagnostics through that single black plug and i dont actually need the white one?

Maybe i was talking b0ll0x read this thread mate, esp AndyT's post 4th from bottom

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5248&hilit=1+diagnostic+plugs&start=15

States what the 2 pin white connector is for - SD output apparently. But im not sure if this applies to the 1.8 16v it does for the G60. Im suprised no one has come along and corrected what i said.

Hey thanks critical, appreciate your research. From what i can make out then i dont have a method to read the codes from the OBD1 engine which is a shame. Back to the drawing board with this problem.... also getting terrible MPG aswell which i dont really get as i thought i was running lean..... :?

Just thought id update this post so anyone having this problem at a later date will know what to try.

Ended up changing the plugs and number 6 was knackered, it was cracked and not firing so i was running on 5 cylinders... not sure as to the cause but car seems ok now ive swapped out all the plugs.

Think it was 2 seperate problems, the fuel problem which was cured by the new filter and then a week later not firing on all 6. Car felt the same with both lack of fuel and lack of spark.

Its good to have the power back, im happy again.

Cheers.