Sign in to follow this  
-=Kris=-

Door leak

Ok, so i've been on holiday for just over a week... during this week i've left the car in the garage with a houshold de-humidifier in it...

i've come back to the car and the de-humidifier is full of water, the carpet is still soaked and my engine radiator is very low on water...

i have 2 questions...

1. i know it's not rain now so is there anywhere other than the radiator and the screenwash that it could be coming from? the screenwash has not gone down at all... i'm pretty sure it's not that...

2. if it is the radiator water, how could it be getting to the rear passenger seat carpet?

i'm confused.com!

thanks in advance

Kris

Guessing it has to be the heatermatrix mate and it must have dropped quite a bit out of the system for the rear carpet to be wet! its the only thing i think it could be :scratch: unless anyone else has suggestions????

seems odd since the front carpet is only slightly damp... and the rear is soaked...

i'm pretty novice when it comes to this stuff... how could i check if it's the heater matrix? and i'm right in saying that the heater matrix uses coolant water, right? this is really how novice i am!

Not being rude, but would you feel confident enough to remove teh front passenger seat? If so, take it out and remove the carpet from the passenger side. better still remove both seats and the carpet completely, together with all the soundproofing. Refit the seats so the car is usable. This way you can observe any water entry into either of the footwells. You may have a hole in the chassis skin :( - hopefully not though. Give us a shout if you need any info or direction. Its not difficult but these little niggles help you really find out about the car.

i'm confident enough removing them but not as confident putting it back in properly! :S but i'll give it a go, thanks...

if it is the heater matrix should it feel like a slightly oily water?

i'm pretty sure it's the heater matrix now...

need to get it sorted but i don't wannt try taking out the dash myself... does anyone know anybody with corrado repairing experiance in the farnborough/basingstoke/bracknell area? and whould u know roughly how much getting this sorted would cost?

Think i've found something...

I've had exactly the same problem since buying my 'rado last September. I'd check all the obvious sources of the leak - foliage cover, door membrane, etc but it was only last weekend when I had the passenger seat out to investigate further that I found the culprit...

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=64822&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15#p802854

Have had a couple of downpours since then and left rear carpet is still dry :clap:

The carpet also had that 'oily' feel when damp but I'm sure it's not from a gubbed heater matrix due to the carpet remaining dry. Never really had any issues with condensation either.

Finally, I bought a basic dehumidifier thing from b&q and have been leaving it in the car overnight to sook up any remaining moisture left in the car.

Not looked any further into my wet rear passenger side carpet recently - probably due to the run of sunny, dry weather up here for a change.

Anyway, there was still a small patch of wet carpet appearing after the car had a wash, so this afternoon I removed the front passenger seat for a closer look.

Emptied a few buckets of water over the roof then had a cup of tea.

I *think* I've found where the water is coming from. Noticed that the plastic sill cover was sitting over the door seal which allowed water to trickle over the seal and onto the carpet. Over time I think this water has been building up and moving towards the rear footwell.

Checked the driver's side door sill and the lip of the door seal sits over the plastic sill cover.

Water's not getting through now, but time will tell once it starts raining again...

TBH i don't know what part dokko is talking about...

all i got from that was seals, covers and door sills... what is he talking about? the rubber strip around the door? cos he mentioned that it was oily... that sounds farmilliar!

Kris - seems like we have exactly the same problem and I only recently got it sorted after months and months of a soggy passenger side, rear footwell.

Ignore what's written above - it had nothing to do with my door seals! I eventually traced it to a leak from the boot which I've still to trace the exact location of, but probably from the rear spoiler strut openings or the number plate. What was happening was that water was leaking into the boot and standing underneath the boot carpet. It was then condensing on the inside of the rear wheel arch and then running down from the arch into the rear footwell. Since I removed the boot carpet and the carpet covering the rear wheel arch, the footwell has been bone dry (and there's been some major downpours since I done this!). The water still leaking in through the boot, but now it just drips into the spare wheel well and drains away.

Will get it properly sorted soon. Maybe...

Hope this helps!

cheers dokko... tho i'm pretty sure it's the heater matris now...

the front passenger side (like right at the front) is wet too and the water is somehow getting to the back... and i'm loosing coolant quite fast...

i got quoted like £300 for someone to replace it... that sould about right to u guys?