Sign in to follow this  
Josh Waddi

Need break advise

my breaks are getting shoddy now, skweaking and pulling, i need to know what breaks fit on a 1.8 16v (standard alloys 15") and if i can get them off another car which ones? also need to know what i need hear lots to do with bearings and flushing the brak fluid??

anyways theres enough threads on here on how to do it but none on what is needed and where to get it from?

cheers

Brakes mate, not breaks. Bit like brought and bought that most folk seem to mix up. :brickwall:

Rant over, just get the stuff from GSF car parts or Eurocarparts or try ebay. They will be the same as Mk2 Golf 16v brakes I think.

If its front you'll need discs and pads. Depends on when they were last done and what condition the calipers are in but generally you dont need to bleed the brakes. The brake fluid should be changed every couple of years mind you so you might have to do that. Never done that myself but from what Ive read it seems a ballache on the Corrado.

Rears will be discs, pads and you may as well do the bearings at the same time. Not too bad a job but if the bolts start rounding off or are well and truly stuck it can be a bastard.

Thanks for pointing out that grammar is not a strong point in me "coullstar". :salute: Rant over.

Thanks for the advise very helpfull, but i have a small issue, as my grammar is not upto scratch i am unaware of what the word "ballache" means? Does anyone have any ideas on Coullstars perfect grammar?

Only trying to help, you learn from your mistakes. :lol: It was not directly aimed at you, this just crops up all the time and it one of my pet hates. Both my parents are (were) teachers so you can blame them.

Another good site for parts is AVS http://www.vwspares.co.uk/

Hope you fix your breaks!!

HaHa, No worries.

Just try and give as good as i get. Thanks for the advise and hopefully i will have a vehicle which drives in a straight line.

fluid change is easy on 1.8 as you probably don't have the ABS pump to worry about, just do it the same as any other conventional car, remove most of the old fluid from reservoir, fill with fresh and then bleed each caliper starting furthest away from reservoir.

An easy-bleed bottle that pressurises from a tyre valve gives pretty good results, I always find that better than manual bleeding with mate on the brake pedal (about 15 quid from motor-factors?)

Also worth bleeding out the line that goes from the reservoir to the clutch slave cylinder, two bleed points, one under reservoir and one on slave cylinder, they share the same fluid as the brakes.

the rear discs contain the rear bearings, so you need to buy and fit a set of bearings, not that difficult to do but you really need a brake caliper wind-back tool and a hammer and punch to remove the old races from the old disk, you can then use these to hammer in the new bearings into the new disks, or alternatively a socket of the right diameter.

Cheers David

Seems difficult for a newbie. Got a friend who loves VW's so ill proably by the stuff and then throw him some cash to do it.

Another question for you what brakes can i upgrade to, or take off another vehcile? seen lots of threads regarding 288mm brakes and stuff like that.

you cant get 288 disks in 4 stud, so you need G60/VR6 280mm calipers and caliper carriers + 280mm G60 disks, or some other aftermarket setup if you want to go bigger.

rear disks are one of the first things I did myself on my first car, not difficult but it helps to have someone to advise/ask for help :)

hi,

just wondering... how much bigger are 280mm G60/VR6 brakes than the standard 1.8 16v ones?

Are they worth upgrading, or am I just wasting my time? My fronts are about due for replacement so its an ideal time to look into it!

Thanks, Rich.

hi,

just wondering... how much bigger are 280mm G60/VR6 brakes than the standard 1.8 16v ones?

Are they worth upgrading, or am I just wasting my time? My fronts are about due for replacement so its an ideal time to look into it!

Thanks, Rich.

16v fronts are 256mm

vr6/g60 fronts are 280mm

the 280's are much better than the standard 16v front brakes, for obvious reasons. you can pick them up reasonably cheap too.

if you want more braking power with 15inch wheels, check out the wilwood selection, they do some good 4 pot calipers that will fit 280 discs and 15inch wheels. you will probably need small spacers to clear the slightly larger width of the caliper if you go this route though.

thanks for that,

well, I've got 17" rims and not a lot of spare dosh, so the G60/VR6 ones are probably the best option.

(stupid question, but i don't know... are they the same brakes on both the G60 and VR6?)

Rich.

Or try the Hi-Spec ones ,no spacers needed!

Be prepared to headbutt the dash ! seatbelts a must

how much were the hi spec ones? and do they sit behind 15's nicely then?

slightly off subject,

but is the skinny spare (i presume space saver) standard?... available for 4 stud?

I have a full size spare, which means my boot floor has a wheel shaped lump on the floor which annoys me.

slightly off subject,

but is the skinny spare (i presume space saver) standard?... available for 4 stud?

I have a full size spare, which means my boot floor has a wheel shaped lump on the floor which annoys me.

yeh, g60's and 16v's up to 92 had them