Sign in to follow this  
glen

What car next after VR6???

The only thing that will tempt me away from my VR is this:

b12-alpina_2.jpg

I'd settle for 'just' the 850 CSI though ;)

On a more topic focused note - I really don't think many cars come up as well as a VR for speed, serious fun and the ability to cruise around and be as docile as you like. Especially not for the cash. Smiles per gallon..... can't beat em ;)

Brillinat, i love teh old 8 series too. I prefer the 840 tho, but those Alpina rims are just superb. Also has the 'uniqueness' of beig a production failure like teh Corrado, making them very rare too. BUT, the thing with the C is its also quite practical - you an get two adults in the back in fair comfort and carry stuff in the boot AND look cool. The beamer i believe is very cramped in the back even for kids and my two are growing up fast.

I have also thought about a worthy replacement to the C and i cant relly seem to find one, unless you spend mega bucks.

Re Pianowire, i sold it before market decided to pass free fall so only lost £500 after a year of owning. The Corrado is a good price at the minute, a cash car if you, that you can return to your youth with, except now you have cash, so replacing worn bushes, buying decent coil overs, an Alpine system, not Lidl's special CD player, so the Corrado makes great sense to own as a cash car, selling it on in 2 years time, when the market picks up and for the same if not more than i bought it, due to it being a sub 70,000 mile car and serviced by VAG each and every year of it's life (even the 2 years it was SORN! :cuckoo: ).

SO why sell you Corrado and buy another car that will just depreciate for the next few years like a sinking stone and be relatively worthless come 2011 :gag: ??

Keep the Corrado, add some vigour , change the look, shape, bhp, colour, bumper, even do a swap for a G60, or a VR6, which ever one you haven't got :clap:

what about one of these http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/ww ... RegLetter= yeh its at the top of your budget after you have put your own LPG conversion onto it, but they do return very similiar fuel consumption to a vr6 anyway, and trust me they are sooo comfy, plus if you wanna go fast then this car will do that very easilly also.

Hey Karl

Didn't you spot a very buyable A3 with 3.2 motor recently?

The only thing that will tempt me away from my VR is this:

I'd settle for 'just' the 850 CSI though ;)

On a more topic focused note - I really don't think many cars come up as well as a VR for speed, serious fun and the ability to cruise around and be as docile as you like. Especially not for the cash. Smiles per gallon..... can't beat em ;)

Brillinat, i love teh old 8 series too. I prefer the 840 tho, but those Alpina rims are just superb. Also has the 'uniqueness' of beig a production failure like teh Corrado, making them very rare too. BUT, the thing with the C is its also quite practical - you an get two adults in the back in fair comfort and carry stuff in the boot AND look cool. The beamer i believe is very cramped in the back even for kids and my two are growing up fast.

I have also thought about a worthy replacement to the C and i cant relly seem to find one, unless you spend mega bucks.

At risk of inflaming opinion I drove an 850i and in many ways it was a huge disappointment. It looks terrific (esp. with those Alpina rims) but the cabin space was frankly piss-poor, the driving position relative to the wheel was 'not right' and it didn't feel especially quick, although that may have been down to the auto-box. A Corrado has decidedly more space inside IMHO and usable rear seats unlike the 850i, which is crazy considering the difference in size between the cars externally.

Add onto that the 14mpg economy and parts prices which wouldn't be out of place on a Ferrari (e.g. a replacement bonnet is around £5,000!) and it just doesn't add up to me. An M5 is a lot quicker, roomier inside and would cost you a fraction of the 850's costs to run and maintain.

But frankly onto the original poster's question; whilst I'd personally move onto an M3 or M5, I would recommend either an R32, an Impreza or a Leon Cupra R, which are all affordable cars around the same size as the Corrado. I know the Impreza has a chavvy image but it's hard to fault how quick they are or the build quality. If you're on a tight budget or want something more subtle then a MkIV 4Motion is a good buy; add some coilovers & remove the badges and you have an anonymous Q-car.

I very nearly got me a Nissan 300ZX a while back. They are awesome cars.

They may me awesome but they're very big, very heavy and not actually very quick. My friend Eddie can tell you many stories about how he simply can't hang onto my Corrado travelling across Salisbury Plain, despite his 300ZX being modified to well over 400bhp. The 300ZX is just too big to pedal proper-quickly on anything other than a dual carriageway.

Same for a Toyota Supra

SO why sell you Corrado and buy another car that will just depreciate for the next few years like a sinking stone and be relatively worthless come 2011 :gag: ??

Keep the Corrado, add some vigour , change the look, shape, bhp, colour, bumper, even do a swap for a G60, or a VR6, which ever one you haven't got :clap:

Exactly what im thinking now.

Full respray, slightly lower, leather interior and get those bl**dy heater controls fixed! all ready for the summer (well 2 weeks of it :lol: )

...how he simply can't hang onto my Corrado travelling across Salisbury Plain

Is your Corrado on tracks?! Only thing I know that shifts on Salisbury Plain is a Challenger 2 tank!

dont do it i was in a similar position this time last yr and bought and r32 hated it and im now happerly back in a corrado

...how he simply can't hang onto my Corrado travelling across Salisbury Plain

Is your Corrado on tracks?! Only thing I know that shifts on Salisbury Plain is a Challenger 2 tank!

More rails than tracks :wink: but it does go out on track as well.

There are roads across Salisbury plain y'know!

well with the credit crunch hitting hard, do some research and get down the car auction, a friend of a work colleague just bagged an 05 plate cayene s for £10500! from a bankrupcy and fleet car auction or something. Its apparently quite common atm as many people ran them as company cars and that particular one they had to drop the starting bid to 4k before anyone committed!

O and my best mates dad was recently offered 6k by the dealers for his 04 plate 40k blue s2000 with optional blue softop and matching hardtop, immaculate condition with no kerbing to the standard wheels or to the late model one he had fitted... yet they had a one with more miles on the forecourt for £11k so managed to sell it to a mate for 8.5... theres some proper bargains out there.

6k will probably get you a previous gen m3 convertible with toys now as i found good ones for 10k in november and the car ndustrys gone bad since then... just a thought!

They may me awesome but they're very big, very heavy and not actually very quick. My friend Eddie can tell you many stories about how he simply can't hang onto my Corrado travelling across Salisbury Plain, despite his 300ZX being modified to well over 400bhp. The 300ZX is just too big to pedal proper-quickly on anything other than a dual carriageway.

Same for a Toyota Supra

But it's not all about speed. If I wanted speed, I'd go buy a quick car, not a Corrado or a 300ZX....

Same for a Toyota Supra

But it's not all about speed. If I wanted speed, I'd go buy a quick car, not a Corrado or a 300ZX....

The problem is that 'awesome' can be defined in so many ways. I've no problem with the 300ZX but certainly it's performance is one of the better reasons I can think of to buy one. You certainly wouldn't pick one for the quality of the interior trim :)

I'm confused. :confused4:

not actually very quick

Certainly it's performance is one of the better reasons I can think of to buy one.

I often think about what my next car will be after the VR and it's tough!!

There aren't many cars that appeal on so many levels like my VR6.

It's rare, reliable, cool as fcuk, looks good, sounds amazing, handles like a dream, is equally at home on the motorway or country backroads and is pretty quick.

Oh and I love the interior build quality (compared to my mates Scooby anyway!).

I usually come to the conclusion that the money is better spent on getting my C mint and having the engine rebuilt and supercharged!

I have thought about E36/E46 M3s but they are soo common and no where near as iconic. They are faster though.

944 Turbo will probably be less reliable than the VR, sound no where near as good and is not as versitile. They do look cool though and are very rare thesedays.

E39 M5 AWESOME engine and 400bhp! definately a serious contender but I'd have to drive one as they are a very heavy car and I'd like to see how it drives. On the downside you see E39s everywhere, albeit not Ms.

The only car that I know I'd like to own after the VR is a BMW M coupe (Z3 breadvan!) as it is everything I see in the Corrado but faster :D

I often think about what my next car will be after the VR and it's tough!!

There aren't many cars that appeal on so many levels like my VR6.

It's rare, reliable, cool as fcuk, looks good, sounds amazing, handles like a dream, is equally at home on the motorway or country backroads and is pretty quick.

Oh and I love the interior build quality (compared to my mates Scooby anyway!).

I usually come to the conclusion that the money is better spent on getting my C mint and having the engine rebuilt and supercharged!

I have thought about E36/E46 M3s but they are soo common and no where near as iconic. They are faster though.

944 Turbo will probably be less reliable than the VR, sound no where near as good and is not as versitile. They do look cool though and are very rare thesedays.

E39 M5 AWESOME engine and 400bhp! definately a serious contender but I'd have to drive one as they are a very heavy car and I'd like to see how it drives. On the downside you see E39s everywhere, albeit not Ms.

The only car that I know I'd like to own after the VR is a BMW M coupe (Z3 breadvan!) as it is everything I see in the Corrado but faster :D

pretty much agree with all of the above. Maybe 'reliable' the only word I'd re-consider :lol:

but you do hear quite a few 'my c has never let me down' stories too which is good.

A mint/tight 944 Turbo would be the only choice really unless lucky enough to afford the big daddy 911 :notworthy:

Also keen on the Audi S2 coupe - another classic sleeper

A few nice 911 (964's) available now for just over ten grand. For those of you in UK :bad-words: :p

Check out the '99 996 for under 13k on autotrader - must be something up :scratch:

All said and done, unless you need cash quick, or the car needs mega £k's spent or you've suddenly got £10k to spend -

I just can't see past the VR6.

''CLINK''

Not many 'modern' cars i would replace my C with, even if mine is only a valver. Most cars in my list are just not viable as a daily driver option, for example, i've always had a soft spot for Series 1 RST's, or Skyline R33's, but neither would exactly be ideal for the daily jaunt. Something like a golf R32 would be my choice

There is only 1 car I would replace my Corrado with and its one of these:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/559251.htm

Dude, while I do agree that a 2001 BMW M5 is as cool, if not cooler, probably faster than a Corrado and will be as reliable (or more reliable if everyone on here - bar me - with a VR6 tends to say), but its a fair whack of cash more than a Corrado*, plus I imagine that its running costs might be more expensive. Apart from the interior, which looks like those god awful seat covers from Halfords I have to admit it looks like a nice package.

However, something which people might not be aware of, and something I consider important is that car looks to be an ex-squaddie car (owned by someone in HM Forces previously) and having that background and being responsible for policing them, in my personal experience, I'd be confident that is an ex 'ballon deal' car (something which BMW have recently stopped doing) and it will be have been ragged and ragged h-a-r-d.

*= if this thread is about the next potential car that is of similar spec/price/availability etc of a Corrado

hi

oh please dissuade me from buying an alfa gtv v6 gorgeous car with the teledial alloys momo leather etc its the only car that i think yes i could get one of them instead of the corrado! but what about the reliability surely they cant be that bad!? its the only car i would consider giving up the vr6 for!!!

andy

One of my mates spent a fortune on a brand new Alfa 147 because he wanted a brand new car to drive while he was building his MK1 Astra GTE.

I think he lasted about 3 months in it before selling it at a huge loss because more went wrong with it than did on the Astra, he hated it.

GTV is indeed an awesome looking vehicle, but it's a shame you hear so many horror stories about Alfa's build quality/reliability.

Well I woulnd't recommend the CTR. I had one new in 2003 and hated it, sold after 7 months. The power band was silly and I felt stupide having to rev it so much just to keep up with traffic.

Mate recently sold his Cup-R and it was a really nice car, though I can't say it really had much in the was of charisma.

To be honest though if your looking for a hot hatch I'd probably keep the VR as nothing else will be quite the same!!!

I like the 330Ci but never had one. I have had an E36 M3 Evo [thats what I moved from the VR to] and an E46 M3 and both to be honest were fantastic cars, if a little expensive to insure and service etc.

Depending on how old you are willing to go and what kind of thing your after I'd look at maybe one of the following...

Audi S4 2.7TT

Alfa 156 3.2

Jaguar XK8

Boxster

S1 Elise

Lotus Elan Turbo

S2000

Mazda RX7

Food for thought?