Sign in to follow this  
welshconan

VR6 - Coolant in Passenger Footwell

Ok Chaps

Hope you can help - my corrado just broke down!!! :(

Driving along and black smoke came through my vents and the car steamed up. I pulled over and I noticed my passenger footwell had loads of coolant in it. The car has been recovered now and is sat in my local garage. Anyone know what this problem might be...........need prepare to spend more money on the dam thing. Only just forked out £700 on a new rad/water pump and window regulator.

Cheers

hi mate,

Your matrix has popped. located behind centre of dash.

look in wiki for a replace guide

This seems to be the thing to go wrong at the moment, perhaps it's temperature related??? - that's a classic heater matrix blown,

dash out job I'm afraid, or at least partially out, and a new matrix required (like a mini radiator but to transfer heat into the car from the coolant)

:(

Could all this be related...........

A month ago my rad started leaking so had that replaced, while being replaced my mechanic noticed the water pump was leaking so that got replaced. Now the heater matrix has gone - to much of a coincidence?????

That's the final straw - it breaks my heart to say it but the car is being sold!!!!!!!

yep, related. As with any items working under pressure, the weak links in the chain are broken in succession until all are replaced. Your main radiator and water pump obviously were leaking pressure, so now that they've been replaced, the matrix is now seeing the full water pressure and that's now popped as a result.

Constant hot / cold cycling with plastic ended radiators is not good imo. Radiators should be made of the same material throughout (i.e. all alloy) to reduce thermo fatigue..... in fact.....when I hoik out another matrix, I will be getting it replicated by Proalloy or Allard etc....

interestingly enough, I read a VW USA safety recall note I found on the web today for the Corrado, the matrix fault was for the ends of the matrix pipe failing, not the matrix core itself, so that would tally, the plastic-to-metal core joint was obviously a bit weak on the original design.