Sign in to follow this  
PhilThePitcher

VR6 major service starting *pics*

hey all, i haven't posted in a hot minute but i'm back online to show you what were doing with my old rado. first off, its a 1992 VR6 SLC car. i bought this car from the original owner who garaged it since day one, he also kept extensive maintenance records. it had 199,xxx miles on it, i paid $2,300. so after i drove it for about 6 months i sold it to a good friend of mine who totalled it the very next day, he brought it back from the dead at a cost of $8,000. Now he has decided to do a major service including engine rebuild with new harness, axles, brakes, cooling system, struts, stiffer springs, new transmission, to name some of the larger projects. so i'll probably snap a few pics along the way and let you guys know what problems i run into etc. after this work is done its going to the bodyshop for a little paintwork to freshen it up.

this is what it looked like when i bought it...

n637650536_264978_139.jpg

this is the day after i sold it lol...

l_2092bc37c90400b6c207fc88a733e21f.jpg

todays work included diagnosing the ABS light, fixing the inoperative speedometer, odometer and spoiler. we also did rear pads and rotors with new bearings and seals. i also welded the exhaust heat sheild up which was rattling. the front brakes, calipers, hoses, and master are en route to the shop.

in the shop...

n637650536_5760187_6862.jpg

the current owner, keith...

n637650536_5760189_7568.jpg

the rear brakes all broken down...

n637650536_5760226_1102.jpg

me, packing the bearings...

n637650536_5760192_8619.jpg

i put tires on it maybe 1000 miles ago...

n637650536_5760224_5792.jpg

i enjoy talking about tech stuff so if you have any questions feel free to ask and i'll probably have a few of my own!

i paid $2,300. so after i drove it for about 6 months i sold it to a good friend of mine who totalled it the very next day, he brought it back from the dead at a cost of $8,000.

:shock: one of you got a bum deal there mate. why did he not just buy another rather than spending 8k to get it looking ok? does look nice now tho.

curiously, that front bumper looks like it has a smoothed number plate recess. is that custom or standard?

curiously, that front bumper looks like it has a smoothed number plate recess. is that custom or standard?

No front plates required in the states ;-)

Standard indeed, also the turn signal is on the bumper and not the wing.

i paid $2,300. so after i drove it for about 6 months i sold it to a good friend of mine who totalled it the very next day, he brought it back from the dead at a cost of $8,000.

:shock: one of you got a bum deal there mate. why did he not just buy another rather than spending 8k to get it looking ok? does look nice now tho.

yep haha, i agree but he loves that car