Sign in to follow this  
Jay2

Post about cleaning up wheelarches? 'Search' no joy.

Planning on taking the wheels off the C and cleaning up the calipers and was thinking of doing inside the wheelarches at the same time.

Is there a post about this somewhere? Tried the 'Search' without much luck. :confused4:

Help appreciated on do's and dont's and what else can be done while the wheels are off. :scratch:

Cheers.

Yeah good idea - especially after the weather we've had...

I'd bag the brakes with a strong carrier and some gaffa tape then clean with hot soapy water first then use white spirit to remove old wax if you want to go back to paint...

Hi John,

I'm sure Kip would be happy to pop down and chat through how far you want to go. He did a great job in overhauling the brakes on my Storm and replaced the splash plates etc.

I did the mucky work of cleaning the arches etc... the filler cap side is amazing to do if you've never taken the rubber shroud off and got in amoungst the nooks and crannys up there that hold so much cr@p.

As said, hot soapy water will get loads of muck off. It depends on how clean you want to go. If spotless get a nail brush and old toothbrushes (or buy new if you really want to pamper it!!!!) and some stronger cleaner (we use a motorcycle cleaning fluid from Hein Gerrick [sp?] and lots and lots of hand cleaner for later! I don't know the age of your C but the paint under the arches of the later ones is not on metalwork but a rubber underseal. When properly clean you can see if there is any damage to it which needs attention but otherwise it doesn't need any additional protective coating.

it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be,plus i did it when i couldnt walk due to torn ligaments in my foot

so just shuffled across the floor,dedication my friend :D

Butterfly - what make are those front discs? They look ace!!

Standard VW disks but with a fair bit of prep before fitting.

Masked up, masking tape cut to tidy, then a few coats of plasticoat primer and silver top coat to keep all 'not braking surfaces' from rusting over. Most disks come with a small amount of painting up but nowhere near everywhere or thick enough. Getting paint between the front disk vents is, I gather, a particularly tricky business. Now I have to be soooo careful when putting wheels back on, especially the rear, not to scratch the painted surface on the faces or someone will be very disappointed to have their work damaged!

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSC03546.JPG[/attachment:2dmpqi7f]DSC00527.JPG[/attachment:2dmpqi7f]

Greeny-Great job!! Bet that took ages to do!

Again, as Greeny says. It is surprisingly easy to clean a lot of muck off. Plenty of water and an old sponge.... pay particular attention to the lip around the edge of the rear arches as they fill with dirt which will hold water then it's bye bye rear arch.

John - sorry for hijacking your thread but it is on topic, though maybe not the detail you wanted!!!

No probs Judith, any info's a big help. :D

Think with the time scale I've got at the moment probably go for the soapy crud removal and a splash of paint on the calipers. Looking forward to the horrors that may be hidden beneath. :pale:

Do make the effort to pull off the petrol filler cap rubber surround though mate as theres always lots in there.

Remove the cap, then stuff a wrag into the pipe to stop dirt getting it while you remove the rubber, then carefully remove the wrag and replace the cap then get cleaning :D I even used anold stick to poke all the dirt out as it gets very compressed over time so this with a good hosing should do the trick :salute:

thats a great thing to do judith, i didn't think of that, i've got all new everything, but some parts of discs are really rusty looking already :(

thats a great thing to do judith, i didn't think of that, i've got all new everything, but some parts of discs are really rusty looking already :(

Agreed, though I can't take the credit... It's a 'Kip Trick'. He's teaching me (doing for me) so much :wink:

Steady on Jim, its a labour of love thing too ya know :lol: but i like the storm to look as good as it can as i know i'll get the credit :ignore:

Cheers for the advice.

Had a look at inside the arches and they all seem to have a black coat of gunk on them. Is this usual for the earlier models or is it more likely to be waxoyl?

Do I leave on and just touch up/clean where its worn off or start again? :?

Oh and too late for the filler cap, trip to the bodyshop planned for later in the year. :(

Did mine last year, Autoglym engine & machine cleaner,kids play with this brilliant product !!....Autoglym super resin polish, dodojuice purple haze, Collinite to finish. as you can see immaculate.

Knew I'd seen a pic somewhere before. :clap:

Great finish. Did the Autoglym even work on any Waxoyl?

Judith/Kip - What did you put on the wheelarches once you'd got them cleaned up?

Judith/Kip - What did you put on the wheelarches once you'd got them cleaned up?

Butterfly says...

Honestly ??..... Where the paint isn't so thick after years of wear & cleaning, I masked up the suspension, brakes, axle, exterior body then sprayed with touch up paint to get a good deep colour. And to really finish it off a few coats of laquer. Very very easy to keep clean then and looks great... but don't tell anyone else of my secret :ignore: 'cause most people will think I'm :cuckoo:

You weren't kidding about the amount of muck stuck up between all the fuel filler gubbins! Really had to get my fingers stuck up there for all the nooks and crannies. :norty:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfBehindFuelFlapCrud.JPG[/attachment:1afoyacg]

BehindFuelFlapCrudFloor.JPG[/attachment:1afoyacg]

Unfortunately the image doesn't show how high this is on the floor! :shock:

Yep, and taking the filler cap off, stuffing a rag down the neck, removing the circlip that holds the rubber neck in place, remove rubber neck, remove rag and refit filler cap allows you to get to even more crud.

Had you discovered the broken spring when I stopped on the way past and did I totally miss seeing it??? 8)

Spring was wedged and dislodged it while painting.

Probably a good job you weren't there as my language was a bit :censored:

Thanks for all the help and advice. The Autoglym stuff worked a treat. :notworthy: