Sign in to follow this  
Adz The Rat

OBD1 Or OBD2???

Im selling my inlet manifold that I originally bought off M15 VW on here.

Someone is asking me if it came off a OBD1 or OBD2 engine????

Can anyone help please

Daft question from a newb but can someone please explain the difference? I'm stumped and dont even know what this matter regards. :scratch:

OBD1 or OBD2 refers to the type of management the car runs,most cars are OBD equipped and the corrados has an early OBD,most refer to it as OBD1.

OBD2 is the later management and is not available on the corrado but is fitted to the later golfs which can be retro fitted to the corrado.

OBD2 is far more sophisticated than OBD1 and has many advantages including not ever stalling etc due to not having an idle valve but instead a motorised throttle body to name a few.

Thanks for the reply. Ive seen OBD1/2 mentioned many times on this forum and been scratching my head wondering what was being discussed I even googled it but drew a blank. Cheers :D

Slight thread hijack, but is really worth converting to OBD2?? I mean is there a massive difference or not??

I ask because im going to be putting my rebuilt engine in soon and i have been considering doing the conversion as i imagine it would be a lot easier to install whilst the engine is out. Just not too certain on the advantages/disadvantages and if it would be worth the effort?? :confused4:

About 2-3mpg apparently, better diagnostics, better midrange pull (might have made that one up), better options if you go FI later, no ISV any more, few more bhp, bit more torque.

About 2-3mpg apparently, better diagnostics, better midrange pull (might have made that one up), better options if you go FI later, no ISV any more, few more bhp, bit more torque.

Sounds promising, no disadvantages then?? Is installation quite simple?? Think i might go for this is. My long term plan with the corrado is to go rotrex eventually, so maybe be a wise move if it provides better options for FI.

Sounds promising, no disadvantages then?? Is installation quite simple?? Think i might go for this is. My long term plan with the corrado is to go rotrex eventually, so maybe be a wise move if it provides better options for FI.

Disadvantages are cost of the kit and fitting. It's not simple to fit, the loom etc comes from a mk3 platform car and needs trimming, and extra wiring removing, corrado specific wiring needs to be included, and I don't think the colours all match. The brake servo will need removing to feed the loom through the bulkhead to the fusebox.

A few people have done it, or had it done.

I've got a Golf VR6 1997 Highline, so OBD2. Have a look at the VR6 Owners Forum, it has an explanation of the differences (but not how to fit OBD2 to OBD1 cars as far as I know). The interesting thing is that with Golfs the OBD2 cars tend to develop 185-190bhp in standard trim. It seems that VW changed to OBD2 on the Golfs but did not 'update' the brochure and so left the headline power as being 174bhp. Maybe because back then it was hard to get them insured?? But on the VR6 Owners there is a Rolling Road day results chart and on that there are 3 standard OBD2 cars. They develop 186, 190, 190. I am pretty sure my standard car develops 190, not 174. My son has a Corrado VR6 and it is no quicker (handles better though, so i'm thinking of getting one :) So it may be that fitting OBD2 to the 2.9 Corrado, that starts at 190bhp, would give you 205-210bhp. That is a neat gain for the money, so the aggro to fit might be worth it. My OBD2 Golf (62k miles, v good history) regularly returns 30mpg and up to 32mpg on long motorway runs. If given gip locally it drops to 25mpg. So whilst it may be tedious to fit, it should boost power appreciably whilst not affecting economy too much.

ADVICE: Those of you with VR6 cars - go on the VR6 Owners Club website. There is some good stuff on there.