Sign in to follow this  
eno

Anyone done it? (PD engine into Corrado)

Has anyone put a PD into a Corrado as yet?

I've had a quick look in the members and couldn't see one...

It was fitted before he bought it though so unfortunately there's no build thread :( Its a 6 speed too!

Theres a lady on Dubforce that's done one, and a few others floating about. I'd love one and have always promised myself one :lol:

does anyone know which car it was pulled out of, what gearbox used, which driveshafts etc? All the usual questions!

I think they're custom driveshafts mate, can't remember what car the lump was from - i'm sure he'll be online soon to fill you in! :grin:

Its apparently a surprisingly good engine in a rado!

It was the MK4 Golf 115PD lump complete with the 6 speed manual gearbox. Even though he didn't do the install, he's had to fix / repair a few bits and pieces so knows a fair bit about what has been done / modified :)

Driven the car a lot and it's excellent - really works well in a Corrado. It performs at least as well as a Corrado 2.0 16v whilst managing to feel more urgent because of the torque - yet returns monstrous fuel economy (60MPG+). The only thing that lets it down is the noise - the lack of soundproofing in the Corrado seems to amplify the diesel clatter in the cabin. If I was going to do the conversion myself, I'd invest in shed loads of dynamat as well! :)

Thanks for that Jim. Interested to know which dash clocks used, the driveshaft situations and what issues raised with exhaust and engine mounts, plus gearbox - is this straight out of the mark 4 (cable??)

It is using the MK4 clocks and the gearbox is straight out of the MK4. Not sure about engine mountings and downpipes, etc though - sorry :(

A diesel in a Corrado! :gag:

I used to own a Bora 1.9TDI 130 PD, the engine in that was awesome.

On second thoughts, I guess it would be quite nice to get the power and MPG of a modern diesel in a Rado.

I've changed jobs so require chugg chugg juiced car. I've stopped myself buying an a3 TDI sport for £7k and thought, "I wonder..."

Obviously this wouldn't suit all, but if anyone has experience of putting one of these together, I'd love to know costs, issues, and all of the above!

I've spoken to a few people to try and get a figure for a conversion but no-one will commit! Some seem to think it'll be a fairly straight forward job and others think it'd be very difficult. I've had people raise issues such as fuel lines/tank/filler neck size etc

If you can do the work yourself, obviously it'll bring your costs down dramatically.

A derv rado would be great IMO, modern TDI's are very driveable, bags of torque and can be re-mapped to big figures. Granted, to those wanting big power a TDI will never compete with a VR6T or 20VT etc but as a daily workhorse I think it'd be bang on!

Wouldnt it be a lot easier to fit an lpg kit with a removable tank in the boot for the few times you didnt want it. Fitting a diesel does sound like a lot of effort.

the PD130 would be the one to go for i think, lots of guys over on ukpassats have had them remapped to a happy 185bhp and silly torque as they have slightly bigger injectors and intercooler than the lower powered PD lumps. just gotta watch the clutch- think some of the better remaps limit the torque in lower gears to save the clutch from getting eaten.

Yeah LPG is def the way to go best of both worlds and can get kit fitted for £1400 + vat

Nothing but praise for mine.

I get the equivalent to 40 mpg which in a 2.9 V6 cant be bad!

Theres a lady on Dubforce that's done one, and a few others floating about. I'd love one and have always promised myself one :lol:

Hers isn't a PD though... it's an earlier TDI engine, and she's then changed the injectors, turbo and a few other bits to get it pretty close to 200bhp with shed loads of torque!