Sign in to follow this  
mk1g60

early/late headlamp differences?

hi all, i have a late front on my g60, late bonnet, grill , lights etc but the clips are broken on the passenger light.

i have a spare passenger light but its an early one and was wondering if it was possible to put a late lense on an early light?

hoping one of you techys can let me know, cheers, karl.

yep, only lenses and trim are different.

so let me get this right the rear plastic and reflector as same on both late and early?...... :scratch:

bob

so let me get this right the rear plastic and reflector as same on both late and early?...... :scratch:

bob

yep, for the facelift cars the grille was moved forward about 1cm to make it more flush with the bonnet and wing leading edges, the headlights were given a deeper glass and plastic trim surround to bring the light out flush with the new grille, no reason to change the reflectors or light units, so they didn't.

You often see early cars with early lights and retro-fitted late grilles, the grilles stick out from the lights :)

bob

yep, for the facelift cars the grille was moved forward about 1cm to make it more flush with the bonnet and wing leading edges, the headlights were given a deeper glass and plastic trim surround to bring the light out flush with the new grille, no reason to change the reflectors or light units, so they didn't.

You often see early cars with early lights and retro-fitted late grilles, the grilles stick out from the lights :)

cheers .......gud to know........seeing my reflectors have seen better days, i have found a place near me that does plastic chroming.......might see if they can refurb my reflectors

that would be very interesting, I've always understood it's expensive to get one of items done, but other than the glass it's the only bit of the light units that fails and would be very handy if they could be refurbed for a reasonable price.

Interested in this too mate, mine knackered and only scraped through the MOT.

Always wondered why my grill stuck out from the headlamps. :salute:

that would be very interesting, I've always understood it's expensive to get one of items done, but other than the glass it's the only bit of the light units that fails and would be very handy if they could be refurbed for a reasonable price.

That is indeed a useful service if they are the right sort of price, would mean a lot of older headlights could be saved.

EDIT

Found this webpage after doing some interweb searching, seems that MGF owners are worse off than us!! Misty headlights

I am going to give the company listed at the bottom of the page a ring and see how much they want for a set of striped down 'rado reflectors, will keep you all posted.

A little sidetrack but I decided to strip and clean the headlights from my 16v as the front end is currently still living in the roof.

Anyway I was very happy with the results, considering the car is going to hit 20 years old next month the lights look like new again (I checked against a new headlight too)

Basically I stripped them apart, very very very very careful wiped the inside of the reflectors using a microfibre and a little of meguairs nxt quick glass, cleaned the inside of the lenses with autoglym glass polish and the clarity is now excellent. Well worth stripping down and just cleaning the backs of the lenses. (Yes I know its a left hand and a right hand light but its still a before and after..)