Sign in to follow this  
Rawhide

Disks and Pads question.. and plugs!

Hello, I just went to German and Swedish to get some service bits. I bought some Zimmerman disks which I hear from you lot are pretty good. I was also going to get some Pagid (standard) pads. However the bloke made a mistake so gave me some Textar ones instead. They look very similar and he said they were superior.

I've never heard of Textar before so are they good or was I being fobbed off?

I have also decided to do the plugs and bought some Bosch Super (FR8LDC) plugs which seemed too good to be true at £2.50 per plug :shock: I know that I should fit platignum NGK, but I have done 2k in my car in the last 8 months so don't think I really need a super long life plug. Are these OK?

Also any tips for swaping the disks out? I'm not a superb mechanic but work on my motorbike a lot and cars are just bigger right? :lol: :roll:

Thanks!

Oh - forgot to mention - I'm not after race brake pads that need heat in them. My driving is all city work so they wouldn't be needed. I just want predicable strong braking 8)

I have the zimmermann cross drilled discs on mine with the pagid pads seem pretty good not heard of textar before? as for the plugs if yours is a G60 you need to get platinum Bosch plugs W6DPO got mine from G+S £37,00 for the set. you dont have to get Bosch but i would defo get platinum ones :)

You must have a VR6 as you mentioned Platinum NGKs? Don't entertain them...not required on a VR6 unless you have a Shrick VGI (have to remove it to change the plugs). Normal non-plat NGKs or the Boschs are fine, in fact, I've found my VR prefers the Boschs.

Kev

Oh and changing the discs and pads is easy. You may need an impact driver to remove the disc's retaining screw. The screw just stops the disc flapping about when the road wheel is removed, so it's not essential but they do have a habit of seizing in. It is a good idea to replace them, making sure you apply some copper grease to the threads upon reassembly.

The calipers are held to the carriers with allen bolts, 6 or 7mm, can't remember which. The best tool for this is a hexagon socket for your ratchet.

Once the caliper is free, prize it against the disc to push the caliper pistons in.

Hang the caliper on the wishbone or somewhere solid as to not stretch the flexihose.

Remove the disc.

Put new disc on and clean liberally with brake and clutch cleaner.

Put some copper grease on the back of each pad to aid the anti-squeal shims and then pop them in the caliper.

You may need to push the pistons back in again at this point (unscrew the brake filler cap first) and then lower the caliper over the new disc and refasten the allen bolts.

That's basically it, I may have forgotten one or two things but you'll figure it out when the wheel is off!

Avoid heavy braking for the first 100 miles or so to allow the pads to bed in, but don't be too ginger with them or they'll glaze.

Kev

Oh and changing the discs and pads is easy. ....

Kev

Thanks Kev - is there anything you don't know! :wink:

I think I may have to invest in an impact driver tommorow.. and a socket that will remove the security nut on the wheels.. hope the VW dealership has one in stock.

You're welcome mate.

Yes, loads I don't know! I know bugger all about G60s but VWs in general I have 10 years experience of!

Halfords sell a nice hex set mate, no need to trouble the dealer...they probably won't know what you're talking about!

K

Kev- you said

Put some copper grease on the back of each pad to aid the anti-squeal shims and then pop them in the caliper.

my breaks squeal like mad!! and the front discs and pads are newish, around 4months old.

is it the back ones that need changing? theyre slightly corroded but i can still see enough life in them 8)

Well - yet another mixed result day working on the corrado :?

Stated off badly.. I decided to a tool check so I would only have to do one trip to Halfords. Realised the security nuts don't have a special key. (with the three little holes on the socket)

No problem think I, just phone VW dealership and pick one up :wink:

..erm we don't have that part sir... your car is 10 years old... we can damage your wheels cutting it of but we can't do it this year :mad:

Ok - keep calm - phone another dealer and same result. So I phone VW head office who are very helpful. I get given the name of the manager at the part department at Milton Keynes who is really helpful. He offers to let me use the master set and get a new one cut :D but I'm impatient so decide to get a local tyre shop to have a go.

I pop in the car that has been standing up (outside) for 1 month and am pleased that it start pretty easily. Get one mile up the road and stall at a junction and the car refuses to start :mad: After pushing the car about 100m to somewhere good to stop, whilst seething about not renewing my AA cover this year :roll: I try and start the car again. After a couple of minutes a bloke appears from nowhere and ask's if I'm having a problem. It turns out he's a mechanic and manages to start the car :D He didn't do anything other than pump the accelarator whilst the engine was turning but the car start and seems to run well again. He won't accept even a fiver for a beer.. Maybe things are looking up after all.

On the way see a tyre shop on the corner and get a good feeling about it.... I pop in and ask the mechanics if they can have a go at removing the nuts. No problem they say, they have a special tool that can do it :D

Whilst the bloke is removing the tyre I start chatting about getting the wheels refurbished as they are in a very sorry state. He mentions that he has a set of alloys that would look good on my car and I could have them at a good price. I'm not really a big fan of alloys as I prefer the factory look but decided to have a look at them.

Well - I now have four Fox 4's fitted to the car... and the best bit is that all fitted, balanced and new wheelnuts all round for £30 a corner. Result!

They are 15" but still look quite good on the car and are a damn sight cheaper than a refurbishment job so I'm pretty pleased.

Whilst they are doing the wheels I decide that I really have had enough of the day so I ask them to fit the disks and pads that are in the boot that I was planning to fit myself 8)

The car seems to be running and starting well now but I couldn't swap all the plugs due to having too small a wrench :x The old plugs were looking pretty tired so I look forward to a nice strong engine again when I swap the others tommorow :wink:

Anyway a (bad) pic of my new alloys :D

Just managed to get the plugs swapped out and have been for quick test drive.. quick being the operative word there :D

Car pulls a lot better and seems to be wheelspining a bit more than normal too. I guess the plugs really needed doing! The old ones looked nice a tea coloured but the gap has grown to 2mm :shock:

all worthwhile now...

...I might even complete the sunroof repair tommorow 8)