Sign in to follow this  
Jay2

How to work Coil Spring Size=PI Springs!Contacted no help!

In the process of cleaning up my wheelarches and took the front drivers side wheel off this morning to be confronted by this:-

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfCoilSpringBroke.JPG[/attachment:3s0jl36s]

Going to check the other side later, just in case. :pale:

But my problem is how do I know what size spring to get? Previous owner said it had been lowered but looking through the patchy reciept history I can't see anything. It does have some markings on the spring, 80-202 Front :-

CoilSpringNumbers.JPG[/attachment:3s0jl36s]

Can anyone shed any light on this? Rough measurements of the coil are 25cm high by 15cm wide. :scratch:

If all else fails will have to take off and take with me for reference. :(

is there any other signs as to why that spring may of broken? maybe a big impact on the wheel?

otherwise if its from fatigue they could be springs in need of replacement or just crap springs, you may replace 1 and then another will snap?

Why do you need to know the size? Can't you just buy a set of lowering springs for a Corrado if you're replacing all four, there is lots of choice out there, or am I missing something? They are standard shocks aren't they?

Was hoping not to have to replace all four. :(

it would be cheaper and more cost affective to buy a new set,the springs look old,fitting one may result in the others following the same path and snapping later on.

For safetys sake, as a minimum always replace springs or dampers in pairs (across the same axle) or you can have quite iffy handling especially in emergancy manovers. A set of springs can be had for £60 upwards (new) or you might find some on the forum.

otherwise if its from fatigue they could be springs in need of replacement or just crap springs, you may replace 1 and then another will snap?

Crap springs I'd say.

The two most common causes for spring failure are 1) poor quality spring steel, 2) siezed top mount bearing, which twists the spring.

You'd be surprised how many people don't notice 2). Not saying the OP falls into that category though!

Thanks for all the info. :salute:

Found out via C&R Enterprises at Nottingham that the code probably relates to PI Springs, but they don't deal with them. Suggested a set of Weitec springs.

Had a look on the PI website and '80-202' relates to their Springs with a 40mm drop for Corrado's. Waiting to hear back from them about my broken one. :(

New set looking likely and I don't think PI will be at the top of my list. :nono:

Heard back from PI about the broken spring, pointed out there claim of "Lifetime Warranty for peace of mind with Springs" to be told actually this is b*llox.

Warranty only valid for purchaser. Pointed out this is not what it says on there website and no 'terms or conditions' listed with the claim.

Reply back said: "We are uploading some text to add to the site to explain the warrenty on all PI items. Also the banner point will be changed. Sorry for any inconvenience caused"

Offered to "make an exception for me and split a kit up to send me a pair of front springs for £50+£10 postage".

The full set is marked as £85.99 on the website, so not such a great deal, especially after having one snap already.

So not only are PI Springs unreliable when they do break the company will not stand by its claim of a "lifetime warranty for peace of mind". AVOID! :epicfail:

Now probably going to take C&R's advice and try the Weitec. :?

I've never thought of PI springs to be anything but a budget item. Still, it's annoying when they don't honour a guarantee and AFTER you complain they change their website! Might be a potential trading standards issue there, depending on how miffed about it you are.

What's interesting is that you didn't notice the spring had gone until you had taken the wheel off - didn't the car handle funny?

Yep, worried me too that I didn't feel any difference with the ride. Could have been a lot worse if it had let go in a big way. :pale:

Rides always been a bit of a teeth rattler and I've got fat 16inch rims so the wheels rub on full lock all the time anyway, but never felt anything while cornering or normal driving.

the weitec springs have a larger diameter top coil btw, so you may need different spring plates

i've had the weitec springs and the Pi springs

i had an mongoose exhaust with lifetime warranty once.

i ripped it off going over a kerb in some floods and snapped all the mounting brackets. they replaced that no questions asked with a whole brand new system. They didn't even want to see it 8)

Which did you prefer 3corsameal? PI or Weitec? :scratch:

Thats my dilemma at the moment, as I know the PI springs fit without any problems, whereas will I need more bits to fit the Weitec and will they be ok with 16inch rims? Wanting to get the car up and running, so a set of front PI springs would at least keep me on the road until I can get something better sorted. :( But is that just a false economy. :? And after the responses I've got from them would prefer to say "stick it".

Previously had S/S exhaust system with a 'Lifetime Warranty', but they usually make it clear that its just for your ownership. Whereas the PI website and promo stuff clearly states 'Lifetime Warranty for peace of mind' without any terms or conditions. So when I pointed this out instead of standing by their claim they are actually changing the website instead. :brickwall: