Sign in to follow this  
Sonicriot13

Cleaning an Engine

What's the best way of cleaning up an oily engine in situ? The engine in my golf is all oily from a blown cam cover gasket and I want to clean it all up before replacing said gasket and the spark plugs etc.

Meguires degreaser really good, spray it on and agitate with a brush then rinse off, best stuff I have used. You dilute it so it lasts a good while. Also good for wheel arches etc.

If you want something easier to get hold of (you would probably have to get Meguires off online supplier) Autoglym engine degreaser is ok.

HTH

Rich

Thanks for that guys. Will see if I can get hold of either of those two tomorrow morning. Just want to clean it all up before fitting the new plugs as I don't want them getting fouled or have crud getting into the cylinders.

Are there any bits which you should really cover with plastic bags when rinsing it off?

I am always carefull when rinsing off any degreaser etc in engine bay- would advise caution if using a pressure washer, in my experience the most sensitive items tend to be alarm systems-always worth tie wrapping a bag around them, might be prudent to protect dizzy, and always give engine a good run afterwards to dry it off/check running ok.

Rich.

Are there any bits which you should really cover with plastic bags when rinsing it off?

I am always carefull when rinsing off any degreaser etc in engine bay- would advise caution if using a pressure washer, in my experience the most sensitive items tend to be alarm systems-always worth tie wrapping a bag around them, might be prudent to protect dizzy, and always give engine a good run afterwards to dry it off/check running ok.

Rich.

Yeah, one of the guys at work suggested a pressure washer but seems a bit risky to me.... Not sure I'd risk it on an 18 year old engine. Plus I've only just put a new starter motor on yesterday, I could do without anymore electrical things going t*ts up. :lol:

Before and after pics??? ;-)

Didn't take any I'm afraid. I can get some after pics though. If it wasn't poisonous I'd use it on the dishes. Way better than Fairy! :lol: