Sign in to follow this  
91corrado

1991 16v engine temp range?

Hi, I recently bought a 91 16v and am a bit worried about how much the temp gauge goes up and down. When running on the motorway it sits at 80 but when I sit in trafic or at lights it goes up to 100.

The fan seem to be cuts in, but haven't observed it at different soeeds.

Can anyone please tell me if this rage of temp is normal?

Cheers

Yep - seems pretty good to be honest :) Nothing to worry about there.

the car will always get warmer sat in traffic, as long as your fan is cutting in then youve got no probs there..

many thanks, so I can stop watching the gauge then?

I guess I'm jsut not used to seeing the gauge move, my previous cars always seemed to stay at a constant temp.

Many Thanks for the response

many thanks, so I can stop watching the gauge then?

I guess I'm jsut not used to seeing the gauge move, my previous cars always seemed to stay at a constant temp.

Many Thanks for the response

exsacly how i felt about it when i got mine first off then kinda got used to it and found it dosent go any higher so no need to worry lol although summer is coming so expect some temps higher up so maybe think about a coolant change with some fresh g12 maybe?

to be honest, I'm already worried about the summer.... It has new fresh coolant as I had the head done, due to a bit of a water leak on one of the cylinders. Very expensive.....

I'm not convinced that the Garage put G12 in though. I might change it myslef just for piece of mind.

Should the fan run at different speeds depening on temp or is it just an on and off job?

Should be two different speeds though in practice you rarely ever hear 'full speed' as it never generally gets that warm. Normal speed should sound like an office desk fan whirring away - high speed takes it into overdrive!

to be honest, I'm already worried about the summer.... It has new fresh coolant as I had the head done, due to a bit of a water leak on one of the cylinders. Very expensive.....

I'm not convinced that the Garage put G12 in though. I might change it myslef just for piece of mind.

Should the fan run at different speeds depening on temp or is it just an on and off job?

yeh theres two speeds the first comes in at about 95ish depending on weather it can be bothered and the second will be about 100-110 ish again there never accurate coz your gauge may be giving a faulse reading lol

yeh depending on where you took it they may have saved on costs and put cheap stuff in best do it yourself to be certain :D

by the way wecome lol :wave:

many thanks, I wish I had got on here a few weeks ago and asked the question...would have enjoyed driving more, still really looking forward to the drive to work in the morning now!

Be worth keeping an eye on the oil temp too, a valver should not really get much above 90 degree until you open the taps up, then it tends to sit about 100.

hi, unfortuantely the oil temp setting on the MFA doesn't work or at least it isn't showing a reading. This was one of the next pieces of advice I was going to ask about. I presume it must be a faulty bit of wireing or sensor?

Any ideas on why this might be?

cheers

Yeah easy on a valver, look at the back right of the cylinder head (when standing facing the engine bay) and there is a small sensor located on the very corner of the head with a single wire attached to it. That's the oil temp sensor and either the wire is not fitted or its bust.

A new one from VW is part number 049 919 563A and is about £15 from VAG.