Sign in to follow this  
WigsVR6

Good roads to check out in scotland?

Later on this month Im off to Bonney Scotland for a weekend of fun :D Ill be staying in Pitlochry Perthshire and Im wondering if anyone out there can recommend some great roads to check out and test both mine and the vr's capabilities. Im sure there's plenty of roads in that neck of the woods which are suitable for this purpose. Im not the kind of person who drives to the limit but its about time I found out how good this car really is and this will be the ideal place to do it. Time will be a limiting factor and I dont want to waste it by driving round aimlessly looking for possible candidates. Any recommdations from you guys would be much appreciated. Thanks

what sort of distance/time are you realistically prepared to spend? Some awesome roads near and far

I'll give you a starter. You can do this on your journey up to Pitlochrie and it's a corker.

Assuming you're going up the M6, come off the motorway just north of Carlisle and take the A7 towards Hawick (pronounced "hoyk"). You'll be on the South Borders Tourist route and travelling through just over 90 miles of the most exceptional countryside. The route is mostly open, sweeping roads with fabulous views which change from forest, through open country, through various river vallies, through the industrial town of Galashiels and then finally over the top of the hinterland & down into the bottom of Edinburgh & the Forth Bridge. There are speed cameras littered from around Galashiels onwards but they won't hurt your enjoyment of the route.

The real trick with this route is to time your journey through the night and start from Carlisle around daybreak so there is little traffic. It is a magnificent way to start a holiday. Have attached route below. I'm told (but can't vouch personally) that taking similar detours from the M6 further north at Moffatt (A708) and Biggar (A702) are equally good.

I'm sure our Scottish friends will enlighten you on good routes around Perthshire, but bear in mind that the Scottish Police do exist and are just as likely to issue you with a ticket if they catch you dicking around on thier beautiful country roads.

Cheers

John

:salute: I will second that,lots of empty sweeping A-road with some challenging bends on occasion.Great fun on the motorbike although haven't had the rado up there before. :D Watch out for most of rural Scotland's(I think)speed cameras on the A9. :)

Just take the longest route up to pitlochry - you will enjoy whatever way you choose to be honest. If youre short on time then there aren't that many routes to take once in pitlochry - but you have a few loops on the map that you can do. Going through to Glencoe never fails to impress - steer clear of oban routes as theyre pretty dull - most of the roads west and north of fort william are simply fantastic. You can go over to gelncoe, past FW and back east to pitlochry. Or go the other direction and up through braemar and down loch ness. Both big drives but great fun. Avoid time on the A9 as it can be slow, busy and boring.

:salute: I will second that,lots of empty sweeping A-road with some challenging bends on occasion.Great fun on the motorbike although haven't had the rado up there before. :D Watch out for most of rural Scotland's(I think)speed cameras on the A9. :)

I have friends in Fife who I visit annually (from Bournemouth) and travel the route I recommended each time I go up, and each time I'm on that road around daybreak. There's no way to explain it but to describe that piece of road, empty at 6am, on a summers day - it really is a magical experience.

You really need to take your bike up there at 5am sometime in the summer and you'll see what I mean. Absolutely breathtaking and an incredible drive/ride.

As a second route I seem to recall there's a route across from the M9 past Knockhill circuit going across to Stirling that was very enjoyable. Would be a good route back towards Glasgow from Pitlochrie?

Always wanted to do a road trip to Scotland one year and all this talk of fine roads is tempting me to bring it forward :)

Like John's suggestion of the "dawn dash" to Hawick - made a note of that one :salute:

what sort of distance/time are you realistically prepared to spend? Some awesome roads near and far

Leon, I'll be travelling up on a Friday and after reading Corozins comments about the A7 thats the route i will be taking to get there ( thanks for the map too Corozin) :D Saturday will be the main/only day for experiencing the roads/scenery while I'm up there so I need to be able to get a route planned which will hopefully flow from one to the next. As for distance? I'm thinking of a round trip of 150 miles or so should be enough although its not going to be a rigid schedual quality over quantity is what I'm looking for. Sunday i'll be making my way home so over to Loch Ness FW then glen Coe.

Leon, I'll be travelling up on a Friday and after reading Corozins comments about the A7 thats the route i will be taking to get there ( thanks for the map too Corozin) :D Saturday will be the main/only day for experiencing the roads/scenery while I'm up there so I need to be able to get a route planned which will hopefully flow from one to the next. As for distance? I'm thinking of a round trip of 150 miles or so should be enough although its not going to be a rigid schedual quality over quantity is what I'm looking for. Sunday i'll be making my way home so over to Loch Ness FW then glen Coe.

sounds like a great trip. as i said - 150miles will let you see plenty - just make a suitable loop from what you've got available (theres a limited number of options from pitlochry) - you'll enjoy whatever route you take - the scenery and roads up there are lovely.

I did a 2k trip round scotland last summer - up to little remote beaches on the very north coast and out to some islands - it was superb. i can share the route/photos if anyone wants help with planning a trip.

i want to thank all of you for your input and comments. It's fantastic. Leon you can certainly post your route and photo's it will give me some inspiration and something to look forward to.

A830 to mallaig, but most of the roads on the west coast are amaizing

Thanks for the tip .looking at the map it might be a little way out for me but i do intend going to FW so if im doing ok for time ill give it a try. :D

If you get a chance try this wee one - Aberfoyle to Callander - it is superb!
[/quote:25jf5l3d]

This is great. Checked the map to see where it is relative to where im staying and it looks like i can include it as part of a loop for Saturday> :D

You basically wont do the place justice in a day. Remember a lot of the roads are popular so the dodling tourists will be about. I decent loop is if you start out from Pitlochry (note spelling for others :lol: ) and head east up the hill over the Moulin Moor. This will take you to the Glenshee / Braemar road. Follow this past Balmoral and then head West over the Lecht road to Tomintoul and then on to Grantown on Spey. Head towards Aviemore and take the back road to Newtonmore not the A9. You can either then take the road to Dalwhinnie then on to the A9 to head back to Pitlochry http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 3&z=9&pw=2

OR head towards Spean Bridge and Fort William along the Loch Laggan road (see the Hamish MacBeth House) From Fort William go down to Tyndrum through Glencoe, onto Killin, past Loch Tay to Aberfeldy. Through Aberfeldy onto the A9 and back to Pitlochry.

2nd option is quite long but by god is it amazing. Even the first option will give you some brilliant roads with over taking options and some amazing scenery. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 5&z=8&pw=2

I stay in Aberdeen and we head out that way a lot on the bikes as the roads are fantastic and pretty damn fast in some places.

Thanks coullstar looks like im going to be spoilt for choice with any of the options mentioned. I can feel a headache coming on. Ill get out a good atlas and trace through all the routes and see what is possible and take it from there.

You basically wont do the place justice in a day

I really wish i did have more time to explore and enjoy but you know how it is with kids ect, ect.

I just hope the weather is kind. Anything but rain :D as i wont take any chances in the wet.

Well i've finally dug out a road atlas and I recon I can manage coullstars long run round in a day about 260 miles round trip. We will be heading up this Friday can't wait :D :D Bring it on!!

Have fun, weathers looking good for the whole of this week so your going to see some special views. Just dont stop at everyone because it will take you days. Take a camera though and let some if the oter guys know what there missing up here.

Ive actually got the day of on Friday but I'll be trying not to break any bones when motoxing.

Thanks coullstar we'll have a great time. The VR is washed and waxed cleaned inside all the levels are checked and ok tyre pressures are ok and like you say the weather looks like its going to be good. I'll take a few photo's whilst on tour and get them up on the members gallery when I get back :D

Well the girlfriend pulled a fast one on me and arrived at our house in a white C class Merc to take for the weekend and I was given a tough choice of that or the VR. Reluctently i plumped for the Merc a 2.2 turbo desiel job with auto box and flappy paddle gear change so the VR went back into the garage to fight for another day. I was suprised how well the Merc handled and while its not as quick it does have some poke to it. Anyway we had a fantastic time. Thanks to Corzin for the A7 route its an amazing road espicially south of Harwick :D On Saturday we did the whole of the route that coullstar recommended. What can I say? Its the most stunning route Ive ever driven simply amazing. Superlatives cannot describe how good this route is. Every corner brings to view another amazing landscape from valleys with streams and pine trees to skirting the top of the Cairngorm Mountains. Only seeing that ribbon of road stretched out before me with the twists and turns did I really regret not being in the C because these type of roads is where it belongs - Corrado country !! If you're thinking of doing something like this then you must at least check out this route. Its 261 miles in total and took 7 hours to complete and it as an added bonus of having very little traffic on the roads only around Fort William and Glen Coe the traffic gets heavy.

coullstar- thanks mate for this route :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: i was blown away with it. Oh and the weather was fantastic over the 3 days- bonus :D :D I Know its not a Merc site but if anyone is interested I will post a couple of photo's when I've downloaded them.

Glad you enjoyed it although that was never really in doubt. What was the best bit for you?

Just to annoy you I can do that pretty much every weekend if I want.

Glad you enjoyed it although that was never really in doubt. What was the best bit for you?

Just to annoy you I can do that pretty much every weekend if I want.

Thats tough to answer but the route upto Braemer was the more challenging drive whilst FW and Glen Coe possibly had the better scenery but put the two drives together and you get the perfect combination. I've just uploaded most of the photos taken and already I'm itching to get back up there I'm hooked :D :D I wish I lived nearer. Your very lucky to have that on your doorstep Im jealous lol :D :)

Believe me theres nicer places than that. Im hopefully heading over the the west coast in a few weeks on the bike if my broken finger heals. if not I'll take the Corrado.

Heres a view from the Invergarry road and theres hundreds more like it.