Sign in to follow this  
Riley

Help! Wishbone hitting subframe!!? Speedy help appreciated

Just drove the g60 to mot, on the way there was a knocking on/off throttle through the floor somewhere.

Looked under the car while on the ramp, and the drivers side wishbone is sitting very close to the subframe, and theres a mark where it looks like its been hitting it. On the passenger side the gap between wishbone and subframe is much larger!

Wtf!

How can the wishbone become closer to the subframe when thats what its bolted to?!

Help? :(

Just to add, all the wishbones/bolts etc are new. The bolts seemed tight on the ramp, and the rear bush slotted into the 'u' shaped part of the subframe when i fitted them.

Can't understand it :(

Is there a collar that goes down the middle of the bush on 4 cylinder cars? People soemtimes forget them when re-fitting.

You should notice some movement tho if thats missing.

Is there a collar that goes down the middle of the bush on 4 cylinder cars? People soemtimes forget them when re-fitting.

You should notice some movement tho if thats missing.

It's a good shout, but that's a Mk2 Golf thing. The corrado doesn't use this pipe which crushes when torqued up as it's a locator for the rear wishbone mount, and the C subframes have the U (or horseshoe) type of locator instead :salute:

^ Aye, thats right...no sleeve on this un...The wishbone bush located in the 'u' bit perfectly.

after a bit of a think...I thought going lower would bring the wishboner nearer to the subframe, but its basically touching more a less and im pretty sure ive got the ride height the same as it was before rebuilding it all.

Theres a definate differnce from one side to the other too, on the passenger side i can get a finger in the gap no problem. But at the drivers side, like i say there's very little gap and its catching when driving.

If someone could confirm that this is normal? Bigger gap at passenger side id feel much more at ease! Please!? :)

Ive checked the valver and the gaps are indeed different (stock suspension) but if someone else could check thats running lower than standard it would be great.

See very poor pic as ive had a nightmare day today and couldn't manage a propper one.

wishbonecatchingg60.jpg

Looking at some of my subframe pics pre-install, I can't get my head round how it's rubbing there unless you have seriously dropped your car a massive amount! I would think that it could well be rubbing on the chassis arm bits \_/ on that side, but to make contact the wishbone would have to be running at a serious angle.

Could your frame be bent maybe? :confused4:

Mushy, its good to know about the diffarent clearance on each side on the golf, cheers mate

Only thing i can think of is that the coilover collars are ever so slightly lower than before (not that i can tell from the way it sits though!) and its made all the difference? It definately sisn't used to catch, but maybe it did run very close without me realising...Mmmmm

So if i raise it a little, will it really give that much more clearance you think? Obviously the wishbone can't move away/towards the subframe, must just be the shape of the two seemed parts?

Neil.

From my post on club gti :) Sound plausible?

Nah its definatel a g60/valver one cheers mate :)

After using the car today, i think it is definately sitting lower than it used to, its catching on the road where it didn't used to :roll:

I can't be bothered with all that and i had it set perfectly before all the new bits so im gonna raise it up and see what gives.

Hopefully it will somehow!? give more clearance at the wishbone/subframe? :)

Neil.