Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Ipod & USB to headunit?

Got a new headunit recentely, also bought an ipod to go with it, although i think a shuffle is the only one that doesn't work with it :(

But i'm now trying to copy files from itunes, to a usb stick, that i then plug into stereo.

Having a few problems and all i can see is that there are two types of file, m4a and m4p.

Only one of them shows up on the headunit? Does anyone know much about all this malarky?

Yeah I've always set iTunes to rip in MP3 at 160Kbps

Very useful as car cd player plays MP3 files so I now create playlists using Genius from my Library

i've ended up buying another ipod, i think the shuffle i bought is the only one that doesn't have the correct connection for the headunit.

So i've had to buy a nano too, typical that is, i try to do something on the cheap and end up spending a fortune.

Its all because of the protection itunes put on the files. I may buy all my music from amazon now

i've ended up buying another ipod, i think the shuffle i bought is the only one that doesn't have the correct connection for the headunit.

So i've had to buy a nano too, typical that is, i try to do something on the cheap and end up spending a fortune.

Its all because of the protection itunes put on the files. I may buy all my music from amazon now

You can easily get round that by burning a disc with everything you have bought, then re-import it as mp3 and the protection will be gone. Simples!

Well you could always get a bittorrent and download the entire catalogue of your chosen artist...would save you bundles of cash.

I'm most certainly not recommending Mininova as a torrent site, due to it being illegal to file share. :grin: :wink:

i think now that i've got the ipod nano i should just be able to plug directly into itunes and then into my headunit.

If you want to make things a bit easier for yourself going forward, and just in case you ever have to switch MP3 players in the future, set iTunes to import music in MP3 format and not its own.

Then any future music you import, which is stored in My Music\iTunes (I think - I'm a Mac user so it's different) can just be dragged onto a memory stick and work in most car stereos that accept a USB dongle.

To change the settings you go to Preferences and select Import Settings - I'd recommend at least 192Kbs as well.

what cable(s) do you need to plug an iphone/ipod into a headunit so the ipod can be used as a source?

that raises another question - can an iphone be used as an ipod with a stereo?

what cable(s) do you need to plug an iphone/ipod into a headunit so the ipod can be used as a source?

that raises another question - can an iphone be used as an ipod with a stereo?

Depends on the headunit really, my Alpine has a direct link so I can control the iPod via the headunit (the only thing it doesn't do is charge the iPod :mad2: ), whereas the Sony I had in the valver had a 3.5mm socket on the front of the face, so any generic MP3 player could be used as an "Aux In" source. In this case you'd need a 3.5mm male jack on each end of the cable, a few quid from Maplin's/Egay, or a fortune from Halfrauds.

The iPhone can be used in either of the above scenarios though, as it has the same connectivity as most other iPods (excluding the Shuffle, as 3corsa has found out to his expense :( ), or it can also be connected using it's heaphone socket.

Hope this makes sense and helps a bit. :D

I'm not going to tell you to do anything illegal, but most of you must have discovered the Spotify website by now (basically a website that playes any tunes ,new releases etc you wish to hear- it's bloody brilliant)

You could use a free download called MyMP3 sound recorder and then play your Spotify playlist, which could for example be several hundred albums long.

i like MyMP3 because it recognises any gaps in the music and automatically starts a new recording :wink: