Sign in to follow this  
_leon_

failed heater...

I've done the searching - can't seem to find anything that helps further with my issue.

The heater hasn't worked AT ALL for a while, so myself and a friend tried to diagnose the issue. First went through the fuses - which were all fine. Next tested the live and earth to the rotary heater controls - all good. Next - that 12v was getting to the resistor pack - again fine. Earthing seemed fine at the resistor pack too. Yet still the fan wasn't working. Changed the resistor pack for a new one - no result. New fan - no result. Which now begs the question - wtf is it? Can anyone give any suggestions/advice/help please?

Have you looked at the controls themselves? Are all of the cables attached/working?

only thing you've not mentioned there is the earth from the fan resistor pack...

I've lost 1,2 and 3 speeds but still have 4 is that the resistor that needs replacing? if so where to you get them from? maplin?

I've done the searching - can't seem to find anything that helps further with my issue.

The heater hasn't worked AT ALL for a while, so myself and a friend tried to diagnose the issue. First went through the fuses - which were all fine. Next tested the live and earth to the rotary heater controls - all good. Next - that 12v was getting to the resistor pack - again fine. Earthing seemed fine at the resistor pack too. Yet still the fan wasn't working. Changed the resistor pack for a new one - no result. New fan - no result. Which now begs the question - wtf is it? Can anyone give any suggestions/advice/help please?

Could be that the actual motor has failed then! :shrug:

I've lost 1,2 and 3 speeds but still have 4 is that the resistor that needs replacing? if so where to you get them from? maplin?

yup, or RS components.... It's a thermal fuse that's blown, normally caused by dead bearings in the fan motor causing it to overheat, draw too much current, and start to overheat the resistor pack blowing the thermal fuse...

Chaps he seems to have check the resistor pack earth and put in a new pack and a new fan so it is unlikely (but not impossible) to be these.

*cough* was replying to another poster.... *cough*

Still haven't heard if he's checked the fan's earth.... if it's got a 12V live to a new resistor pack and a new fan motor, this is the only thing left it can be...

yup, or RS components.... It's a thermal fuse that's blown, normally caused by dead bearings in the fan motor causing it to overheat, draw too much current, and start to overheat the resistor pack blowing the thermal fuse...

Noticed the bearing were a bit noisy, so if I buy a new motor is the resistor pack and thermal fuse attached?

thanks a lot guys - only got to look into this again on saturday. the copper arm on the heater control seemed to be the problem - not contacting. Although I had tried another set of controls which didn't fix the issue earlier - guessing something was nonfunctional before - but since replacing both resistor pack and fan, guess the issue with the controls showed up. bit confusing really, but glad its sorted... :)

OK so if I have speed 4 but no others that suggest the thermal fuse is ok but the series resistor has gone which is why I'm getting no'4 ie no resistance full power please but not the others or is the thermal fuse responsible for protecting the series resistors only and not the motor hence why I have 4 but not 1,2,3 etc.

Maplin 184C RA19V 69p Thermal fuse for anyone else reading this.

I was having fun with my fan this weekend as it was blowing rather poorly. It comes out really easily, http://wiki.the-corrado.net/fan_speed_t ... epair.html I then cleaned up the motor and lubricated but, to help you, I checked it by disconnecting the circuit board and put it across the battery just to see how worn it was or whether it was another problem. This would at least let you know whether the motor is working. Obviously be careful doing it, or get someone else to hold it. (hurts less that way)

I was having fun with my fan this weekend as it was blowwing rather poorly. It comes out really easily, http://wiki.the-corrado.net/fan_speed_t ... epair.html I then cleaned up the motor and lubricated but, to help you, I checked it by disconnecting the circuit board and put it across the battery just to see how worn it was or whether it was another problem. This would at least let you know whether the motor is working. Obviously be careful doing it, or get someone else to hold it. (hurts less that way)

Nice find tks mate. Just picked up a fuse from maplin. I'll give it a whirl at the weekend! :D So what does the fuse protect the circuit board??