Sign in to follow this  
Neil VR6

VR6 misfire (distributor engine) FIXED FINALLY

I feel for you I really do. Mine's getting trailered off this week to JMR - where I should have taken it all along.

...and I for you man. I'll be calling my garage in the morning, and if they find out what's wrong, I'll post up what it was to make things easier for you.

Currently eyeing up the ECU & Fuel pump relays as my next 'cheap' fix.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Tom

Well, I might have found the cause of mine, so if your hasn't gone already it could be worth checking to see if it's the same. Turn's out after a new dizzy, plugs & leads, the verdamdt garage hadn't fitted 4 out of the 6 plug leads correctly, and they were arcing to the block. :censored:

I'll do some more testing though to find out if that's definitely the case....

Cheers,

Tom

P.S. If you're using the metal plug lead removal tool with a running engine in the rain, make sure you're wearing rubber soled shoes (and don't put your right hand on any earthing point of the car either... :) )

Yup...I took it out for some spirited testing and it turns out that connecting up the plug leads properly has cured the misfire (unsurprisingly). I hope yours is as simple Neil G60...

Cheers,

Tom

Cheers, most of my problems I think are caused by the t055ers at ignition car parts. Should be back on the road soon

Hi I just joined this Forum becasue I am expiriencing the same problems with my car as you have. I just recently bought this 1992 VR6 (distributor) VW corrado. it has a replaced engine with 90k milles due to a blown head gasket, every thing seams to be running ok, except that there is a lack of power, reading the discription of how your car sounds it seams to be the same problem a good way to discribe it would be trying to speed up to overtake a car in 5th gear whit going 30 miles an hour. My Idle is kinda choppy goes in and out and the car kinda has a hard time starting when it is hot, there still is no power in this car when i'm trying to take off, in 2nd gear i can floor the pedal and it doesn't make a difference how much gas i give. Untill i get to about 3500RPM then i start feeling some power kick in and seams to drive nicely.

I have already replaced my Distributor that was leaking, changed my spark plugs, spark wires,coolant temp sensor, checked my muffler to see if it was clogged, checked my fuel pump and fuel pressure but none of that fixed my problem.

any help in how you fixed you problem or any ideas of what else this could be would be appriciated.

Mine required a new distributor, a new MAF and new leads and plugs - no shortcuts sadly! The temp sender might help with the hot start probs

Having spent about £200 with local garages who really didn't know what they were doing (one even replaced the inlet mani gasket :scratch: and put a nice dent in the bonnet for me) I got the car trailered to JMR. It pulls like a train now. A new MAF was £200 for parts alone although the difference it's made to drivability is incredible - it picks up so much quicker and from much lower revs. There's still the obvious VR6 'hole' in the torque below 4K but the engine pulls from less than 2K now and it a lot more tractable. I also had new VAG ingnition leads and eventually got a the dizzy installed once the monkey's at ignitioncarparts.cowboy finally rebuilt it a second time :cheers: