Sign in to follow this  
crazymarcel

MFA - MPG

When driveing back from pickin the green 16v up that was for sale on this forum on Saturday. Me and mate compared and my vr6 managed 32. somethin mpg while my mates new 2.0 16v was on 29mpg This was over 240miles at various speeds but mainly around 80.

Is the mfa computers numbers right do these go wrong/duff readings or is my vr6 just more economic on a long run.

I found that my vr got better fuel consumption than my 16v as well on long runs, on the 150mile run home from aberdeen i got 29 in the vr and the 16v was at 27.

sorry think i have put this question in the wrong section. Mr Mod can ya move it if so.

Thanks/Sorry

its ok m8......it seems to be in the right section :wink:

as for fuel economy.............on the run down and back from GTi-International when it was at Wroughton last year(2002) i was averaging 80-85mph and getting 32-ish mpg :wink:

my MPG reading says 99.9 lol does anyone know where it reads this from coz i think it has fallen off.... LOL anyone know where this plugs...... in i would like it back...

cheers

VRs are good on fuel. 32mpg from a 2.9 V6 is nothing short of amazing. I've had three 325i BMWs and not one of them could do any better than 26mpg....and it's engine is 400cc smaller! But to be fair to the Bimmer's venerable M20 engine, it wasn't lambda probe equipped, so had no way of economising.

K

I took the car on a driving holiday during the summer of 2001, & briefly saw 36mpg. Although I have to say I was trying very hard to see what the VR could do.

On my old 16v I once managed 44mpg, again trying very hard

Btw, both these figures were showing on the 'current mpg' readout not the 'trip average'

my girlfriend got 40mpg over about 30 miles just sitting at 50-60mph in her 16v

normally we both average 28-30mpg

my MPG reading says 99.9 lol does anyone know where it reads this from coz i think it has fallen off.... LOL anyone know where this plugs...... in i would like it back...

cheers

There's a vacuum hose onto the back of the clocks that sometimes comes off giving you the 99.9 reading... It may also be a loose/leaking vacuum hose in the engine bay somewhere... Time to check 'em all out! :roll: :lol:

Good luck!

mine has been giving me 22mpg max...round town it goes down to 18-19mpg!

it has not got over 25mpg on the motorway doing 75mph for a good 30miles!

I was told a vacuum hose was loose off of the inlet manifold, that was replaced and it still reads the poor mpg! i haven't bothered to check it out mathematecally.

What else could it be??

I've plugged up and sealed my airbox, so its a standard 16v engine!! apart from a full powerflow ss system.

Can i have a Cat and lambda probe fitted to this engine? :?

Cheers

Sanjay.

mine has been giving me 22mpg max...round town it goes down to 18-19mpg!

it has not got over 25mpg on the motorway doing 75mph for a good 30miles!

I was told a vacuum hose was loose off of the inlet manifold, that was replaced and it still reads the poor mpg! i haven't bothered to check it out mathematecally.

What else could it be??

I've plugged up and sealed my airbox, so its a standard 16v engine!! apart from a full powerflow ss system.

Can i have a Cat and lambda probe fitted to this engine? :?

Cheers

I have never seen over 22 mpg and done the maths the readings are well out and I have seen 3mpg in town :)

Sanjay.