Sign in to follow this  
bazzabugs1

Advice required after Diagnostic check

My car VR6 hasn't been running great recently. When its heated up and gets stuck in traffic idling it drops off a cylinder. After stopping the car a few minutes and restarting it it will run fine again. Also the car is very jittery on normal running and sometimes on acceleration you can feel it holding back and not accelerating with full power.

I had it into my local VW dealer today for a service and diagnostic check and I got the following 2 fault codes.

00515 Camshaft sensor (CMP) Sensor -G40

Open circuit/short circuit to B+

00513 Engine speed sender -G28

No signal

Can anyone offer advice as to if this would definitely be whats causing my running problems?

If its anyhelp I have recently replaced the leads, plugs, fuel filter and coil pack which has made no difference.

Thanks

Hmmm - G28 is a crank sensor and will always come up with the engine off - VW know this so shouldn't report as a fault... that signal would make the engine stall if lost so I don't think thats your problem!

Looks like the Cam sensor is down though so your car will be running batch injection with retarded timing so will be about 30bhp down on performance.

These are less than £40 from VW and farily easy to change, might be worth buying some plugs and leads too while your at it.

Thanks for that.

I'm going to order a new camshaft sensor tommorrow. I just changed the plugs, leads and coil pack a few months back so they will be fine.

Would the camshaft sensor be the cause of running down a cylinder when idling after the car has heated up to temp?

No - I'm afraid not... if your sure it's doing that then you need to locate the cylinder (try 1 and 6 first) and check for spark / see if the plugs oiled up / check compression etc.

Hopefully might be a simple fix like a lead not seated correctly - I know Stealth (despite having the metal Hazet tool) always use a screwdriver to make sure the leads are properly seated.

Yeh its defo doing that. The cam sensor would erradicate the poor performance and jittering though?

I've wondered if it might be the coilpack because it never did it with the old one so possibly it would be worth my while checking the leads plugs and changing back to the old one?

A duff cam sensor willl definately cause poor performance, I've had a couple go on me, you can get used to the lack of power to be honest but when you put a new one in you really notice it pulling again. Quick, cheap and easy...how often can you say that about a Corrado repair! I think you need to look elsewhere for the jittering though.

If the missfire is still there after tha camsensor then check electricals - plugs / leads / coilpack - just because they are recent doesn't mean they haven't failed, especially if you got cheap ones from GSF or ECP.

Also get a VAGCOM wire off ebay (you will need one with the 2x2 adapter) and do your own fault code scans in future saving you a few quid!

I ordered a sensor this morning, due in on Tuesday. I'll get that changed first and then take it from there and go back through the plugs, leads, coilpack etc. Hopefully get it back running sweet.

Thanks for all the help though guys :)

Coolant temp sensor gone? Due to it happening once its past cold start temp, putting ECU into safe mode . Although thought this would show up on diagnostic check.

got the same fault code come up on mine today, have thought that it wasn't pullin quite as it should do, will have a proper look 2moz. Anyone got a pic of it? have looked in my bentley manual and cant seem to find a pic/diagram of it in there at all :confused4: