Sign in to follow this  
colsy

Where on the PG block is the charger oil feed/return

Hi all,

Has anyone got a diagram/picture showing where the oil feed to the charger comes from on the block, and where the return goes to. also what thread sizes are tapped into the block for these.

Also, whats the supply oil pressure (max) to the charger, is there an oil pressure regulator in place?

cheers,

Col.

Hi all,

Has anyone got a diagram/picture showing where the oil feed to the charger comes from on the block, and where the return goes to. also what thread sizes are tapped into the block for these.

Also, whats the supply oil pressure (max) to the charger, is there an oil pressure regulator in place?

cheers,

Col.

side of the cylinder head to the engine block.Silver braided line,can't miss it really.There is an oil pressure sender is located into the same part of the head.

0.3 bar.

No regulator is used.

Pressure is set by the length and diameter of said oil line.

thanks for your info mate.

I have the G60 engine to put in my Scirocco, so its not plumbed in you see, still building it up.

I must admit, I'm really suprised you say 0.3 bar..I understood the system pressure varies between 2.0-3.0 bar @2000RPM, upto 6-7Bar at circa 6000RPM. If the pressure sender is running from the same supply as the oil feed to charger, and the pressure is as I said above, then the supply into the charger must be around this value, no change in bore size/pipe length would create such a pressure drop, not in the dimensions were talking about here, were talking about pressure drops due to relative roughness of pipe/bore diameter and expansion/fitting losses, very small, and almost neglagable if you were to duoble diameter and length. flow velocity however is very dependant of diameter.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Col.

its the low pressure switch ie if the pressure is lower then 0.3 bar the light/buzzer comes on anything over is ok, you should get 1 to 5 bar inthat line

its the low pressure switch ie if the pressure is lower then 0.3 bar the light/buzzer comes on anything over is ok, you should get 1 to 5 bar inthat line

ah ok.

On the infamous vw tech vid sketch about the charger says that the g-charger needs 0.3 bar to properly lubricate the charger.

It was that figure that i remembered and quoted.

maybe thats a min figure then.

Cheers guys,

I found the supply and return (ports & fittings) last night. The reason I ask is I have fitted a Impreza charger to the G60 engine, and needed to know the max supply pressure to make sure the impreza charger can cope, without passing to much oil. you have answered all of my questions.

Big thanks!!