Sign in to follow this  
mikehiow

Reading ABS with VAG-COM

Good evening all,

I've been attempting to read my ABS codes with VAG-COM, to no avail.

I have a cheap eBay job lead, and an old "registered" version of vag-com (311). It reads the engine codes fine, but cannot seem to read the ABS codes.

I seem to remember reading that the ABS module/vag-com was fussy about which com port you used and/or the selected baud rate, but cannot seem to find any reference to this now.

Can anyone help?

There's a thread about this already. It's the latency settings on the USB/OBD adapter.

Have a search on here for "latency" and you shoudl find the thread.

Thanks for the kind offer millerman, I have a friend with a snap-on tool, I just wanted to get mine working.

Also, Thanks Toad, I'll look it up :)

Really? I would have thought that if the engine ECU works on your lead and VAGCOM combo then the ABS ECU would too.

Does your ABS work anyway? Tried re-seating the ABS ECU controller connector?

Really? I would have thought that if the engine ECU works on your lead and VAGCOM combo then the ABS ECU would too.

A lot of the cheap cables have issues with too many comunication errors when connecting to the ABS Ecu, changing the latency settings seems to sort this issue out though.

I had it read a while ago, there were three errors, although I forget exactly what they were, something about a valve, amongst other things.

No, my ABS doesn't work. I assume the plug you speak of is on, or around the ABS pump somewhere?

I will change the latency settings (5 for the record) tomorrow, and give it another go.

No, my ABS doesn't work. I assume the plug you speak of is on, or around the ABS pump somewhere?

I will change the latency settings (5 for the record) tomorrow, and give it another go.

You mean the ABS light is on? Or no lights, no-one's home ..?

The plug is on the control box, it's in the passenger footwell, against the outer shell of the car. Though it's probably a good idea to go check the connections on the pump/valve block under the bonnet too.

TBH if you've had a "valve error" chances are the valve block is hosed and you'll need to replace it. That's no big deal, there's plenty on scrap yards (good supply means low prices) and they're usually quite reliable.

Cleared and checked today, the issue shows it's self the moment the engine is started. Front right valve, and near left valve are showing up in the fault codes. There was a brake pedal position sensor fault, too, but it didn't return after clearing the error (It had been cleared about 4 weeks previous, however).

Looks like it's a new ABS block then. It seems every time I fix a problem, another arises. Since changing my full ignition system, it's become apparent there is excessive oil in no.1, my clutch master cylinder needs doing, as does the ABS.

For reference, changing the latency to 5 did the trick (device manager, properties for relevant com port (or usb->serial device), advanced settings).