Sign in to follow this  
Cnut

Front wishbone bushes

My car has failed on the MOT and apparently you need to buy the whole Front wishbone because you cannot buy the front wishbone bushes separately. Is this correct?

May as well as you'll have to remove them to get the mounts out!

Plus it'll mean you're not a year/two down the line looking at a fail due to rusty wishbones

Get new ARB links at the same time, as I found out this weekend, they'll probably snap when you try taking them off! :brickwall:

You also may want to consider new Ball-joints too! As you/the mechanic's got it all apart!

Go for VAG ones the "Cheap" versions have weaker rubber bushes and aren't seam welded, which means you'll bve at square one in a couple years... The Vag may seem expensive, but you know they've lasted this long... so false economy buying "cheap" and replacing in 2-3 years.

Got a rough price of that little lot Jon? Been meaning to go down the stealers and see how much this would cost. Just too lazy. :tongue:

Thanks mate, I shall get this done ASAP. Do the front wishbone bushes affect the handling much because mine doesn't feel quite right up front.

wishbone bushes are one of the main reasons for the front of the car feeling "not quite right" or vague in cornering... changing the wishbones isn't that bad a job, just give yourself plenty of time and space to do it...

oh, and the wishbones are not seam welded from VAG... they'd crack in all sorts of odd places if they were...

Worth while changing the rear wishbone bush (the doughnut one) with one from an R32, its a straight swap and is a complete rubber disc giving better wheel location during cornering and under accel/braking.

Got a rough price of that little lot Jon? Been meaning to go down the stealers and see how much this would cost. Just too lazy. :tongue:

About £140 all in, that was wishbones and full set of VR top mounts front and rear (but they forgot front bearings! :censored: )

The ARB links were about £10 each and bought from local factors as broke mine mid-change... using an impact Wrench :brickwall: Twisted them like Toffee before snapping both...

Edit.. front Wishbones were £41-90 ea just found reciept!

front Wishbones were £41-90 ea just found reciept!

:luvlove:

Were these VW parts yeh?? Where from? I just got off the phone from my local stealer, who said they'd be £98.43 + VAT each!!!! :confused4:

And ARB links would be £34.09+ each!