Sign in to follow this  
dgtvr6

Where to spend it?

All

New to the Forum and hoping to spend many a happy evening talking all things Corrado... Anyway, to the point!

Have a 95 VR6 (Lurv it like it's me own littl'un!!!) and around £3k to spend... So, what to spend it on?

All advice VERY welcome?

Hi and welcome to the forum!! :wave:

What have you done to the car so far, or is it standard?

And do you have any pics, that could help with the ideas too :)

Thx for the welcome... :)

Will get some pics posted over weekend.

Car is completely standard in and out.... Apart from headlight loom (so I can see at night!) and wiper mod (so I can see in the rain).

Dark blue outer grey leather interior

Have had the C for nearly 7 years now and feel the time is right to update it a bit (finally!)

£3k of going faster please...

Nothing needed really on looks though as I had ALL of the body work tidied up late last year.

Mmm, been sparing on details there ...

Has been lowered and had 17" rims added with some shiny new Yokohama Paradas and is handling really well just now...

So, looking to spruce up the speed a bit...

Nothing to spend on repairs either - now - so cash really is ALL for improvemenmts

sounds nice!!

I'm going to get the boring stuff out of the way quickly, suspensions sounds like it has been done, but check all bushes and related wear and tear items as anything old and tired will soon fail with more power. Brakes should be thought about too, no point going faster if you can't stop....

then do the good thing and supercharge it :D :nuts:

plenty of 'charged vr's on here to look for regarding build ideas

I'm sure I read that someone (Storm?) do the 24V conversion, start to finish for ~£3k including the engine? I imagine the R32 wouldn't be too much more?

It sounds like this is the update you need :) (and where my money would be going if I had £3k to spend on my C)

Thanks for tips to date...

May have to look closer at the R32 (maybe sell a kidney and go for it???) :grin:

If the engine is fine Id stay with the original. How quick do you want it to be? Would you do the engine yourself?

If I had that amount of money Id just go for Schimmel cams, remap, filter, exhaust, brake upgrade and enjoy the rest or keep it for repairs.

Hi, probably wouldn't do it myself as I have the mechanical ability of the average hamster to be honest. :scratch:

Another interesting view on where to spend the cash though...

Now have:

1. Get supercharger

2. Look in to R32 options - seems there are a couple of places to get this done that look interesting.

3. Cams, brakes etc and spread the cash around a bit

All interesting and plenty to think about and look up about now...

Thanks again...

2nd hand Schrick, 263 cams and remap.

6 speed gearbox and LSD

Should make the car feel as fast as an R32!

Matt

6 speed gearbox and LSD

Matt

that alongside kw's and a few changes on the brakes is exactly what i'm doing :) oh and getting the RS' ready for summertime :)

6 speed gearbox and LSD

Matt

that alongside kw's and a few changes on the brakes is exactly what i'm doing :)

8)

Me too :lol:

How many miles has the car done?

I'd look at making everything as solid as possible with that money.

New wishbones, all new bushes front and rear, uprated rear ARB, cams, air filter, magnex, remap, 288mm brakes, braided brakelines...

Might not make it loads faster, but, it'll be good and solid and ought to do you another 7 years without issues.

As for the other ideas, you could supercharge it, but will your engine be solid enough? Will you want bigger brakes? Do you really want to commute to work with an angry snail whining at you?? Again R32, I'd not let storm developments look at my car, let alone part with my hard earned cash to allow them to bodge an R32 in. I'm not convinced a decent garage would supply and fit an R32 for £3k, maybe I'm wrong, but none of the R32 projects here at the moment are going smoothly, and they're all being done by competant people...

stealth will fit one for within 2.5k though - including a mk5 afaik. you still have to source one though...

it's got to be an r32 conversion. i haven't had the chance to drive mine much yet, but i'm VERY VERY VERY pleased with it. also (no offence or arguments etc intended here), but the claims of a schrick'd/cam'd N/A VR being able to keep up with an R32 conversion (IMO) really don't cut it - if they could keep up with mine given just how fast it feels, i would be seriously surprised...

either supercharge yours (which is a little false economy IMO due to 12v rebuild costs, fuel economy, daily drivability etc etc compared to that of going 24v) or just bite the bullet and do the conversion. everyone i know who has done the conversion is very happy with the results.

where abouts are you in the country? - if you're anywhere near the west midlands/south wales area, i'd be happy to give you a blast in my R32.

(i'm just gutted i haven't got my sticky mitts on it at the moment as i'm having my gearbox issues worked out now to hopefully complete the last of a long list of things in the conversion saga)

:)

Stealth charge over 5k to supply and fit a low mileage mk5 engine onto your vr6 box and get it running on aftermarket management, providing you have a good enough exhaust (3" i think) they promise 290bhp. Thats alot of money when i think about how much mine is costing me and they have the ability to buy in bulk!

it's got to be an r32 conversion. i haven't had the chance to drive mine much yet, but i'm VERY VERY VERY pleased with it. also (no offence or arguments etc intended here), but the claims of a schrick'd/cam'd N/A VR being able to keep up with an R32 conversion (IMO) really don't cut it - if they could keep up with mine given just how fast it feels, i would be seriously surprised...

=:)

Only with the 6 speed box Pete :salute:

Hope we are both in a position one day soon to meet up and see :norty:

Thats quite good 2.5k from Stealth. Does that include everything?

Stealth charge over 5k to supply and fit a low mileage mk5 engine onto your vr6 box and get it running on aftermarket management, providing you have a good enough exhaust (3" i think) they promise 290bhp. Thats alot of money when i think about how much mine is costing me and they have the ability to buy in bulk!

Perhaps they charge 2.5k for the engine then? You can get them now for as low as a grand so if you source your own it may be cheaper :confused4:

i dont think they use standalones on all installs. the price range i got was with using oe management. which is what you want really...

it is a tough call - for 1k extra you could have a 24v/r32 fitted rather than a rebuilt 12v - comes down to whether you want the original engine or not.

=:)

Only with the 6 speed box Pete :salute:

Hope we are both in a position one day soon to meet up and see :norty:

Thats quite good 2.5k from Stealth. Does that include everything?

haha - cool, i would be well up for that! :D

do wish mine had a 6 speed box :( - i'm just finishing getting gearbox woes sorted now (had it rebuilt, but it has had a nasty rattle since...) and i'm getting them to fit a (passat tdi) taller 5th gear for motorway cruising.; next best thing i guess

i dont think they use standalones on all installs. the price range i got was with using oe management. which is what you want really...

it is a tough call - for 1k extra you could have a 24v/r32 fitted rather than a rebuilt 12v - comes down to whether you want the original engine or not.

vince fairly recently did a Mk2 R32 conversion using all standard management etc, so i think that's the way he generally goes now unless you want to go crazy with turbos etc

1, good suspension like KW, Weitec etc etc and uprate the bushes while doing that

2, good brakes, ie porsche rear calipers and 312mm discs

3, get the engine checked over at a profesional garage see if your chains need doing??

4, slap a charger on it,

5, be happy with what you have done and go and enjoy it.

Mmm, lots of hints and tips here then... From looking around various places and the posts here... May well have to be a MUCH more detailed look at the 24v/R32 conversion.