Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

VR revs fluctuate when hot with idicators on? HELP PLEASE!

Right, for some reason this only happens when the car is fairly hot. I put on the indicators to turn obviously, then the revs blip and fluctuate slightly up and down!

I thought this was happening when the lights were on also, but thats not the case as it happens without them on when warm.

Any ideas of what could be causing this?

Hmm, might be that your indicators are shorting out somewhere and it's pulling the alternator voltage down hard - that can cause the revs to change slightly.

Well I checked the indicator relay today and it seem a bit loose. I removed it, and one of the spades was discoloured, so I cleaned it up and took the car for a spin to get it all warmed up. Unfortunately it hasnt solved it, and it still bounces the revs slighty up and down when you switch the indicators on!

This only seems to happen when the car is very hot, with the fans cutting in?

Could it be the relay?

Has anyone got any other ideas :?

Still trying to sort this problem out myself before handing it over to a auto electrician and parting with some cash that I havnt really got!

Can anyone shed any light on this? I swapped the fuse box over, as I had a spare and still the problem persists! I checked all the indicator connections and they seem fine. It also seems to affect it when the car is in reverse, especially with the indicators on! The engine revs bounce up and down, I really need to sort this!

Can anyone help please?

Have you checked the voltage across the battery terminals when this is occuring?

The indicators shouldn't be too much of an electrical load but if there's a fault with the alternator or a possible earth problem then its possible that the load generated by the bi-metallic strip in the flasher unit is affecting the output of the alternator. Being in reverse will also mean the reversing lights are on which is more electrical load.

Does the engine note change or fluctuate when things like the wipers, heaters or headlights are on?

Have you checked the voltage across the battery terminals when this is occuring?

The indicators shouldn't be too much of an electrical load but if there's a fault with the alternator or a possible earth problem then its possible that the load generated by the bi-metallic strip in the flasher unit is affecting the output of the alternator. Being in reverse will also mean the reversing lights are on which is more electrical load.

Does the engine note change or fluctuate when things like the wipers, heaters or headlights are on?

No I havnt, but I could get a multimeter on it tomorrow evening. No it doesnt seem to do it with any other aux like wipers, lights or even full beam!

Thanks for your reply mate :)

Right I decided to check out the battery terminals last week and gave them a really intensive clean! I scrub them all with bicarbonate of soda and water, but then I got ocd and left them to soak in coca cola all night and day. All the terminals are now spotless and look new. The ground strap to the chassis was very corroded with lots of green and very dry. I gave them a good greasing and hoped for the best, and no surprises it hasn't affected the problem what so ever!

Im starting to think it may be something the alarm fitter as done as it was after the install this has come around but Im not entirely sure. Does anyone else have any advice, it would be greatly appreciated?

Cheers

Right Ive really given up now! Heres a list of what Ive done so far :

1) Cleaned and greased up all battery terminals

2) Checked all indicator bulbs and contacts and cleaned, and replaced all the bulbs

3) Swapped over the fuse box as I had a spare

4) Checked and cleaned the rear earths to chassis and tail gate, but all looked good and clean.

5) Swapped the indicator switch

I checked the voltage to the indicator voltage at the rear lights and I was getting 6 to 7 volts fluctuating with the relay, does this sound right?

When I unplugged the rear clusters whilst the problem was happening, it did to reduce the revs fluctuating/pulsing up and down.

Any other ideas or advice would be great! :confused4:

Have you tried a different relay? I had an old Polo which did wierd things, horn sounding in time with the indicators occasionally as an example. Turned out to be the relay. 99 relay, £1 from any scrappy, or less if you''ve got baggy pockets.