Sign in to follow this  
kerrinmay

Cigarette Lighter Bulb

I ordered a new bulb (and holder) for my cigarette lighter from the dealer, however when I picked it up I noticed that it wasn't the same as what I have in the car. I popped the lighter out and took it into the dealers and we spent a few mins looking at it, but couldn't work out how the new bulb and holder would fit as the holder really wasn't the same and it looked like the connectors would be in the wrong places.

Any suggestions? I've got the older style dash, but the dealer claimed to find no difference in the bulb/holder on his system between early/late interiors. Is there an excess (old) part that I also need to prise off to get the new bulb/holder to fit?

In the end I asked for my money back, but thinking I might have to go back and buy it and have a bit more of a fiddle. I had also thought I needed the same bulb for my ashtray, but upon looking at the weekend I realised that it's illuminated off the same bulb.

It is not the same fitment, More recent ciggie lighters have more girth. The only way of getting it to work is by changing the whole unit.

Hmm I may have misinterpreted your post.

Do you mean the light that illuminates the green plastic arround the ciggie lighter? or the mini torch that replaces the ciggie lighter as found in Toerags and Cayennes?

When my bulb failed I went to Maplins with the old bulb & got a replacement. 5 mins to solder the new one in & works brilliantly. It is a bit fiddly to get the old bulb out of the holder though.

if its any help, the older one is exactly the same as the mk2 golf

took 1 from a mk2 at the breakers tonight, and that was blown aswell

if i hadnt read this thread, i wouldnt have known mine had blown aswell

ignorance is bliss

Im selling one £10 full early ash tray cig lighter base and i think used but works cig lighter.

I have a solution !!!!!

part number-6KO919243

its fiddly, but it does fit,all i had to do was bend one terminal. :clap:

Now all i have to do is find a replacement bulb for my heater controls ! Only available with the fascia, it seems a bit extravagant at £35 !!