Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Non-Rado TDI question

Ok looking at possibly picking up a "sensible" small day-car for trolling about London and commuting up to see the folks (130 mile round trip)

So thinking a TDi something would be best... so what's the recommendations for a reasonably (about £2k) Diesel motor, 4/5 door, mid-size (Polo9n/Golf3)

Something to save the Rado from London Drivers!

So Choices in

AUDI= non (OK A3 but expensive)

Seat - Ibiza? know nowt about good/bad

Skoda - Fabia (Again nowt really known, would like VRs but not in my braket!)

VW - Polo/Golf/Vento/Bora?

Doesn't even have to be VAG! :ignore:

You can get a lot of car for £2k nowadays. I'd be thinking of a mint MK3 Golf TDI or possibly MK4 for that sorta cash - they're both pretty dull and mushy to drive but if all you want is a cheap daily hack you cant go wrong.

get yourself a nice Passat (b5) 2000ish reg... you can pick 'em up for peanuts at the moment, they're good for 200Kmiles, cheap to run, cheap to service and a 130tdi is enough fun when you need it, but has the economy you'll be after...

They're also pretty easy to tart up and make look a little special too with simple things like new headlamps, a jap style front bumper, lowering and a bit of colour coding making the car look 1000% better yet not breaking the bank... ;)

I vary between loving and loathing my passat purely because it's only a 115bhp so it's very very slow (compared to the 252bhp G60 Corrado I'm used to!) but then I see the fuel economy and think about just how much stuff I can fit in it (it's an estate!) and I see the light again! :lol:

get yourself a nice Passat (b5) 2000ish reg... you can pick 'em up for peanuts at the moment, they're good for 200Kmiles, cheap to run, cheap to service and a 130tdi is enough fun when you need it, but has the economy you'll be after...

They're also pretty easy to tart up and make look a little special too with simple things like new headlamps, a jap style front bumper, lowering and a bit of colour coding making the car look 1000% better yet not breaking the bank... ;)

I vary between loving and loathing my passat purely because it's only a 115bhp so it's very very slow (compared to the 252bhp G60 Corrado I'm used to!) but then I see the fuel economy and think about just how much stuff I can fit in it (it's an estate!) and I see the light again! :lol:

I agree henny! - i've done 30k plus now in my diesel charriot and the b5 wagons are great, i bought mine at 147k with a new turbo at 140 fsh lots of bills etc and so far...

New discs and pads (fair enough)

new lower wishbones as both wishbones snapped - seperately (at low speed thankfully)

new driveshafts cos of ^^^

New timing belt

waterpump

cambelt

suspension was knackered so put coilys on (good excuse)

silly wheels and tires (dont go above 17's, 18" tires are wallet destroying!)

o and a a sport inteior but that was just me being a ponce!

You can pick up 100k 110 diesels for less than 1k now and i think they look awesome - jon knows the hassles i've had with mine though!

jon a k3 1.9tdi can be had for fcuk all and with a tuning chip they are rapid (malcolm had a chipped one and it went well) + plus lots of bits from 'undesirable' mk3 gti's to make it look better!

o and if i'm honest jon - you could have my mk3 for a decent price seeing as its you!

Mk3 Golf 1.9 TDi gets my vote. Had one for about a year. Really economical and pretty good spec with the CL and GL cars. I only paid £2500 for my P Reg and that was years and years ago. They must be dirt cheap by now!