Sign in to follow this  
Danny B

Throttle dash Pot ?

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me what the above does.....My'n seems to be very loose and I'm thinking it might be the cause of a small issue - when taking my foot off the accelerator pedal at relatively low speeds the car seems to jult slightly - this is starting to get on my nerves :brickwall: and I was wondering if I changed my Dash Pot it might solve it.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

I have the exact same problem, I tried changing all mounts and it was still the same. I would love to know what causes this :scratch:

It may be worth listening to see if its leaking, listen out for a hissing noise. Mine had crack all around the base of it.

when yours was broken did you have above issues ?

Corrado VR6 throttles have very strong springs and the dashpot stops the throttle snapping shut too quickly / aggressively, which gives the idle valve a chance to respond.

If it's completely soft / springy, the damper has gone and it will need replacing. Not expensive.

To adjust it, undo the 13mm nut holding it onto the bracket, and wind the dashpot up. What you're looking for is a ~3mm gap between the roller on the throttle quadrant and the white plastic Dashpot tip when the throttle is held fully open.

Let go of the throttle and it should close gently onto the stop.

Corrado VR6 throttles have very strong springs and the dashpot stops the throttle snapping shut too quickly / aggressively, which gives the idle valve a chance to respond.

If it's completely soft / springy, the damper has gone and it will need replacing. Not expensive.

To adjust it, undo the 13mm nut holding it onto the bracket, and wind the dashpot up. What you're looking for is a ~3mm gap between the roller on the throttle quadrant and the white plastic Dashpot tip when the throttle is held fully open.

Brilliant thanks :notworthy: I will take a closer look over the weekend and decide if a new one is required.

Yeah, often it just needs readjusting. Previous owners tampering with it trying to speed the idle up and all that! :D

Yeah, often it just needs readjusting. Previous owners tampering with it trying to speed the idle up and all that! :D

out of interest why would you want to speed the idle up ?

Sometimes the idle gets too low for other reasons, but some people either wind the throttle open, or wind that dashpot open too much.... either way it forces the ECU to make all manner of adaptations and gets in a muddle.

You can tell when the throttle is correct using VAG COM. The throttle rest position should be around 14. If it's something like 20 or higher, you know someone's had a play!

Sometimes the idle gets too low for other reasons, but some people either wind the throttle open, or wind that dashpot open too much.... either way it forces the ECU to make all manner of adaptations and gets in a muddle.

You can tell when the throttle is correct using VAG COM. The throttle rest position should be around 14. If it's something like 20 or higher, you know someone's had a play!

....arrhhh, so do I need to be pretty careful when adjusting the dash pot (I dont have Vag-com) or is that splitting hairs ?

Cool, I shall give this a go at the weekend. I had no idea the dash pot was adjustable!

.....right I got my arse into gear and finally bought a new dash pot......thing is I noticed when screwing the knew one in there is no way the gap between the roller and dashpot tip can be as close as 3mm when the trottle is fully open, did you mean 30mm - even that would be difficult ?? :confused4:

Sorry I didn't explain that very well.

This is a better method. With the throttle fully closed onto it's stop, screw the dashpot in to the point where you can push the white plastic end down a few mm. In other words, you don't want to screw the dashpot in so far it starts lifting the throttle off it's stop, but close enough to offer a good amount of damping, if that makes sense....

Sorry I didn't explain that very well.

This is a better method. With the throttle fully closed onto it's stop, screw the dashpot in to the point where you can push the white plastic end down a few mm. In other words, you don't want to screw the dashpot in so far it starts lifting the throttle off it's stop, but close enough to offer a good amount of damping, if that makes sense....

Cheers mate :salute: , I will mess around with it again tonight then.