Sign in to follow this  
Kempy

porsche 944 924 rear disks

has anybody got a definative answer on fitting either 944 or 924 rear break disks? Im trying to reduce offset by eliminating hub adapters. Does anybody know the year/model or ideally a part number of the disks..Im hearing that one of these options might be a direct swap with original carriers and calipers?

cheers in advance

Ryan :D

924's up to the 85 924S's intro are 4-stud(old Audi PCD) and are actually drums,the only pre-85 924's with 5x130PCD rear discs are the Turbo and Carrera GT versions,never heard before that they can fit straight on the Corrado tho

A chap told me ,who is a walking encyclopedia, that a 924 turbo is a lot of vw parts and the brake disks could be a good swap,Ill have to check for myself by getting a set. but it seems a bit too simple and easy

A chap told me ,who is a walking encyclopedia, that a 924 turbo is a lot of vw parts and the brake disks could be a good swap,Ill have to check for myself by getting a set. but it seems a bit too simple and easy

the 924 is and has a lot of VW bits,but mainly mk1 Golf era stuff and earlier,the 924 Turbo I'd say has less in common with VW's than the n/a 2.0 924 76-85

Im still looking for a rear disk solution to get my low et wheels fitted :help:

I thought the turbo had BOTH disks and drums, so I don't know if the disks would be any good... I know I just sold a set of 944 turbo rear calipers on ebay, and they were mahoooosive...

I thought the turbo had BOTH disks and drums, so I don't know if the disks would be any good... I know I just sold a set of 944 turbo rear calipers on ebay, and they were mahoooosive...

the 924 Turbo had discs all round,same as the 924S which used 944 running gear

cheers. Ive been told about big ron but dunno where to find him. The link you found looks to be helpful, do you know if calipers and carriers will need to be changed? The website have bearing kits to which is ideal, Hopefully these will help and I wont need too much arch pulling as well

Not what I meant matey... I know they had rear disks, but the hand brake was done with a drum in the center as the calipers don't have a handbrake mechanism... Early 911s did this too (dunno about the later ones, I've not had one in bits! :lol: )

i used to have a similar set up on my old 16v.

i sourced the calipers from a friend. I was told they were off the rear of a 944 Turbo. They are 4 pot brembos that have a similar attaching pattern to VW cars. With this i mean that the caliper had the bolting similar to the carriers of a VW, therefore not utlizing the usual brembo adapters. I dont know if i explained my self well enough...

similar to this:41700901329.jpg

instead of this:http://imgs.segundamano.es/images/418/41843890121.jpg

Pictures are not from my actual set up, i got them off the internet but i think makes the point.

this was the end result:

img0765rb6.jpg

Then i only needed to offset the right amount the caliper with a washer and i milled down a G60 breake from 280 to 270mm

very simple set up, great breaking power, very very light set up.

Only recomendation is to get quality discs because they will get hoooot. (my set up would warp discs but not fade)

Voila

Not what I meant matey... I know they had rear disks, but the hand brake was done with a drum in the center as the calipers don't have a handbrake mechanism... Early 911s did this too (dunno about the later ones, I've not had one in bits! :lol: )

ahh got you now :dorky:

yeah thats correct

im not really looking at it for a improvement of brakes point of view, just so that I can get my rear wheels on without pcd adapters, porka brakes are twice the thickness of oem rado ones so if makes the option not really do-able. because the offset is still to much and my wheels will poke too much, I do have another thread with the correct title I think. I.e Bug rear brakes.