Sign in to follow this  
colinstubbs

Replacing sunroof trim material??

While my headlining is out I cleaned up my sunroof trim and because all the foam backing fell apart the trim material fell off.

I glued it back on with spray contact adhesive but a) it's a bit wonky and b) it's coming off again. :bad-words:

I was thinking of starting from scratch again with new material and pehaps some more very thin foam.

Has anyone got any thoughts on what might be the best stuff to use for this?

have you tried carpet adhesive, again as a spray? You can get some from any carpet wholesalers.

To be honest i think the adhesive will be okay. The main trouble was the fabric contracted and so it was virtually impossible to get the overlap equally around all the edges. If it wasn't stretchy I could have easily laid it over the plastic and achieved the overlap but as it was it was a bastard!

I've been thinking of maybe using speaker grill fabric, pre-stretching it on some sort of wooden frame and then gluing it to the trim piece then it will be easier to wrap around the edges and I'll still get an even stretch effect on the fabric.

CharleyVR6 suggested using laminate flooring backing for the foam but that may be a bit too firm. Trouble is whatever I use only needs to be 2-3mm thick!!! :brickwall:

I've used carpet adhesive repeatedly in mine, the headlining always comes down again :-( It feels mega sticky when it goes on, I think it just pulls a layer of foam off with it when it come unstuck.