Sign in to follow this  
Johnkerry

Oil Filter G60

hi, Im just doing my first oil change on the G60, the oil filter they gave me is half the size of the one ive just taken off, they told me its the same filter as the GTI Golf is this right ?

Car is fitter with an Oil cooler and im sure ive read on here somewhere that with the Oil Cooler you do use a smaller filter but i cant find what car its off, i Just want to make sure as i dont wont to blow the car up.

John

Pretty sure the G60 filter should have a hex on the bottom to undo it.

I've only ever done one g60 filter change though.

Pretty sure the G60 filter should have a hex on the bottom to undo it.

I've only ever done one g60 filter change though.

Yep the new oil filter has got the nut on the end like the old one but the filter its only half the size length.

So they told you it's the same as a GTI and sold you a Polo filter !?! - I really hope that wasn't a VW dealer that sold you that!!!

The G60 filter is unique to that engine and I wouldn't use anything else as it has internal differences to the GTI one to protect the charger although that one will be fine for a bit if your stuck... it will be easier to fit, that's for sure :D - A good tip on the G60 is to remove the drivers headlight to get to the oil filter.

You need 037115561 - always buy genuine filters, especially Air and OIl.

So they told you it's the same as a GTI and sold you a Polo filter !?! - I really hope that wasn't a VW dealer that sold you that!!!

The G60 filter is unique to that engine and I wouldn't use anything else as it has internal differences to the GTI one to protect the charger although that one will be fine for a bit if your stuck... it will be easier to fit, that's for sure :D - A good tip on the G60 is to remove the drivers headlight to get to the oil filter.

You need 037115561 - always buy genuine filters, especially Air and OIl.

slight tangent..

so if you fit a mocal you'll have to run without the water to oil cooler due to the lack of clearance?

Hi Rob, yeah basically that's what G-werks have always recommended, hence using the 2 hoses and thread from a MK1 to delete which are nice and cheap...

I'm running a mocal in that way with a thermostatic sandwich plate and the engine still runs up to temp nice and quickly without the OE heat exchanger.

I think the only way to run both would be to use the filter above that was also used on the G40 Polo so maybe not too bad although the size is for a smaller engine, and as I said above the G60 filter is unique so that also worried me...

Thanks very much guys, the oli cooler had already been fitted before i got the car im not quite sure how it was done as ive no clue with these engines but there was plenty of room to get to the big filter from underneith. Thanks for the part number ill get one ordered A.S.A.P its a good job i done it today as ive found a split water pipe as well.

I have another question i know its in the wrong section but why take up space.

My steering is making a horrible judderring noise that i can feel coming up through the steerring wheel ive checked the belt and it seemed tight but ive put a couple of extrea turns on it just to make sure is it a common problem and what should i check next?

Thanks again for the help with the filter, i would be lost without this forum.

Hi Rob, yeah basically that's what G-werks have always recommended, hence using the 2 hoses and thread from a MK1 to delete which are nice and cheap...

I'm running a mocal in that way with a thermostatic sandwich plate and the engine still runs up to temp nice and quickly without the OE heat exchanger.

I think the only way to run both would be to use the filter above that was also used on the G40 Polo so maybe not too bad although the size is for a smaller engine, and as I said above the G60 filter is unique so that also worried me...

Hi Steve.

Yeah I have run the same setup till now.

Currently built my engine up with a golf one because I decided I wanted to return to the OE heat exchnager....

Something to think about.

thnks.

ive just been looking abit closer at the pipes and the heat exchange has been by-passed by using a peice of u shaped bit of copper pipe and thats where the pipe has split. One of you mentioned using a golf part for the by-pass can you please fill me in alittle more as im sure it would also look a bit tidyier.

well im back again :) it has taken me ages to sort out that leaky pipe and i lost nearly all the water out of the water system in the process, i filled it back up by removing the top rad hose and pouring it in there but when i started the engine back up the water pressure light is flashing on , Is there any particular order to refilling the water system to avoid airlocks ?

Hi, yes you need 2 water pipes from a MK1 GTI - about £15 for the pair from VW

Coolant, on the G60 you can just fill from the tank but you need to do this slowly, the flashing light will be the level sender on the tank, keep topping it up with the engine running then close the lid as it starts to get warm, wait for the stat to open and you'll see the level drop, shut the engine off and wait for it to cool, top up and run it up to temp again, whole system takes 5.5 Ltrs and 2.5 of that should be G12++ concentrate.

Coolant, on the G60 you can just fill from the tank but you need to do this slowly, the flashing light will be the level sender on the tank, keep topping it up with the engine running then close the lid as it starts to get warm, wait for the stat to open and you'll see the level drop, shut the engine off and wait for it to cool, top up and run it up to temp again, whole system takes 5.5 Ltrs and 2.5 of that should be G12++ concentrate.

Thanks for that , just going to give it ago now cheers.

Er not quite 'book' procedure mate.

Antifreeze should be 40-50% by volume, please remember that the term antifreeze is quite possibly the worst one in the world. It's also a boiling point raising fluid and most importantly a corrosion inhibitor. Best bet is to pre-mix a 50/50 up beforehand and use that to fill up, the engine antifreeze level is not to exceed 60% but I would go with 50% as the antifreeze will degrade over time.

To refill, make sure you have the heater controls selected fully hot, fill the coolant header tank with fluid slowly over a minimum of 5 minutes to max mark (keep toping up as it drops down), start engine and run at 1500 rpm for 2 minutes and at same time fill coolant tank up to over-flow hole, fit coolant tank cap, run engine until radiator fans kicks in (this ensures the thermostat is at least half open). Check coolant (after it has cooled down) and top up as required, to min mark when cold and max mark when hot.

Thanks for all your help fellas the car is back up and running again :) but now she seems to be ticking over alittle fast and once shes been driven and switched off if i start the car again when its hot the idle is abit lumpy ( was there before the service ) but after running for a few mins it goes away. I cleaned the ISV valve with carb cleaner but its no better. Any ideas ?