Sign in to follow this  
Sonicriot13

Old car scrappage scheme - it's kicking off!

oh and of course they NEED to HAVE a valid MOT!!!

Yep, even though it's just gonna get crushed. I guess the "thought" behind that is that one of their aims is to get the cars off the road and if it doens't have an MOT then it's not on the road in the first place. I mean of course nobody would be driving a ten year old car around on the road with no MOT would they? :cuckoo:

Yep, even though it's just gonna get crushed. I guess the "thought" behind that is that one of their aims is to get the cars off the road and if it doens't have an MOT then it's not on the road in the first place. I mean of course nobody would be driving a ten year old car around on the road with no MOT would they? :cuckoo:

ahh well then I might just get me ar$e in gear and restore the 23yo 924 I have sitting in the driveway

ahh well then I might just get me ar$e in gear and restore the 23yo 924 I have sitting in the driveway

Have you owned it for more than 12 months now? :nono: :lol:

it makes me wonder what will happen to corrado prices?

will people struggling to get £1500 for a valver just scrap it for £2k?

And how many people, who are about to splash a good few £k on a new car, currently run a sub £2k model?

This is key, who out there will have the additional CASH lying around to buy a brand new car? Not many I'd suspect which means more people getting onto HP schemes and relying even more on credit. I was under the impression that we want to move away from credit based purchases? :?

I'm trying not to rant after my long reply yesterday but I can go on and on about why this stuff won't work. These things all run in cycles, you can't have boom forever in the same way that I don't think a few years of slow down will cause the end of the world as we know it. Giving the lucky few a couple of grand off a brand new car isn't going to help, it would be better spent on tax rate cuts for those that need it and therefore giving the majority of the public more money to spend on the high street. It's a complete joke.

I for one will be keeping the Corrado, and therefore keeping me out of debt and able to go out and spend some money on things I want and still pay my mortgage.... and if the worst comes to the worst I'll have less financial commitments if it really does go tits up like all the happy happy people in the media think it will.

Man I'm getting grumpy in my old age!.........

Some people are struggling to get £1500 for a VR at the moment mate. :(

^ This :(

Some people are struggling to get £1500 for a VR at the moment mate. :(

^ This :(

Hang in there mate. I'd buy your car if I was in the market. I'd probably buy it now to be honest but I doubt I'd get away with 3 VWs.

Like the scheme or not I haven't been at work even two hours yet and the phone has been ringing off the hook with people making enquiries about the subsidy offer. I bet we put our prices up in May. :roll:

I love the way in which our esteemed Chancellor has not elected to tell the whole truth on the scrappage scheme.

Yes, £2000 will be available but only £1000 is coming from the Government, its up to the manufacturers to stump up the other £1000, if any manufacturer chooses not to participate then the Governments £1000 contribution is also lost.

It will be interesting to see how it affects the market, comparisons with other EU markets is relatively pointless because the UK market operates in a world of its own, totally different methods of operation.

My gut instinct is that the winners in this will be those manufacturers with cheap and cheerful models, Citroen C1's, Peugeot 107's, Kia Picanto's, Hyundai i10's etc will probably see a marked sales increase

My gut instinct is that the winners in this will be those manufacturers with cheap and cheerful models, Citroen C1's, Peugeot 107's, Kia

Picanto's, Hyundai i10's etc will probably see a marked sales increase

Thing is though there is so little margin in those kinds of cars I'm just wondering where the manufacturer's £1000 is going to come from....

Have you owned it for more than 12 months now? :nono: :lol:

coming up for 48months :lol:

Does it have a valid MOT certificate? :nono: :lol:

My gut instinct is that the winners in this will be those manufacturers with cheap and cheerful models, Citroen C1's, Peugeot 107's, Kia

Picanto's, Hyundai i10's etc will probably see a marked sales increase

Thing is though there is so little margin in those kinds of cars I'm just wondering where the manufacturer's £1000 is going to come from....

my guess is that models that don't have the margin in them will amazingly become unavailable and as you've said already I bet a load of other 'discounts' on list prices will disappear pronto.

this is such a stab in the dark, it could end up creating a blip that then leads to another dip which is not going to help anyone, but it's obviously aimed as a blip that coincides with the general election :roll:

but it's obviously aimed as a blip that coincides with the general election

Correct, just like it did in Germany, where they also have their elections this year. Politicians ... shoot the Barstewards, and the world would be a much better place :clap:

Tempest

Well, almost at the end of the day and I've had about 10 enquiries today just on the scrappage scheme. I've heard from the manufacturer today and believe it or not some cars they are discounting further. So some models you will get up to £3350.00 for your scrap car including the £1000 from the government. :shock: I wasn't expecting that!