Sign in to follow this  
RallyRaddo

Head Gasket Job: 16v KR Engine

Hi Folks,

Looking for some info seeing as after 3 months, it's time to look at fixing the blown head gasket.

Head & everything came off today without too many problems, but my good pal Alan, who's a mechanic and doing this with me, noted the Timing Belt Tensioner (VAG "Tensioning Roller" Part No 051109243) splits in half! (Parts Catalogue Item No 10)

PartsCatTimingBelt.jpg

PICT0151.jpg

We don't think this is right having seen, at the end of the day, the wear in the plastic belt cover. It sure looks like the only thing stopping the timing belt tensioner flying apart, has been the plastic cover.

Could someone confirm please, this item should be one complete piece and not split as shown on the attached image?

PICT0152.jpg

Looks like I could be having to order a new one. Costly item?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Cheers

Kev

Definitely get a new one and a new timing belt. Can't remember the exact price, but they are somewhere around £30ish I think.

How about glueing the two halves together with that new "No Nails" that's being advertised?

Suppose I could get from GSF if VAG in Aberdeen don't have one in stock, which is highly unlikely.

13140 TIMING BELT TENSIONER CO 16V 4/89 >1/94 21.00

13109 TIMING BELT CO 16V 4/89 > 13.50

Cheers

Kev

How about glueing the two halves together with that new "No Nails" that's being advertised?

You are kidding, right..?

It's likely that VW will have to order it in, but should only take a day or so as both parts should be in stock at a main distribution center.

always always always, replace the tensioner on a cambelt removal/change! its so important! in and old tensioner if its put back on it is so much more likely to seize and that my friend would be a complete mess lol speak to vwspares they can get you a head gasket kit and a cambelt kit, very good prices there! gd luck

im gonna jump on the no no no bandwagon here. The tensionner is very important, I've had one slip on me and that meant replacing valves which can be expensive. best to just spend the extra cash this time rather than risking further costs in the future.

That tensionner is dead, it is no more, it has ceased to be, it has expired and gone to meet its maker, that... is an ex-tensionner

That tensionner is dead, it is no more, it has ceased to be, it has expired and gone to meet its maker, that... is an ex-tensionner

lol yeah bury it sing a a hymn and move on.

For some things i don't mind using GSF but i'd always buy standard new VAG parts for a cam tensioner.

good luck with the build.

Right, the collet's ordered & should be here tomorrow, along with the timing belt tensioner & new timing belt.

Cleaned the block up this evening, ground in the valves and managed to get 2 springs secured with my swanky new valve compression tool from Halfrauds.

If all goes to plan & it probably won't cos my Corrado hates plans, it should all be assembled tomorrow and head back on tomorrow night.

Haven't had to use any glue yet either :lol:

Block1.jpg

Block2.jpg

Head1.jpg

hve you got the hed skimmed mate?

Nope, didn't see the need to do that as there was no warping or other visible damage from head gasket failure. The only reason all the valves had to come off, was to get rid of the rust on them :( Unfortunately, sitting for 3 months in a watery environment, took it's toll. They are all nice & shiney now though.

just put a metal ruler across the head make sure its flat. have you done this type of thing before? its fun putting the collets back in place! i usually put a little dab of grease on the inside of them so they stick to the valves

I hate, hate, hate collets!!!

Thanks for the tip Swiftkid, shall use a dab of grease tonight on the remaining 14 valves. Maybe I could use glue after all :lol:

Kev