Sign in to follow this  
Ka`

Breakers, what to do with them?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I like to find out as many facts as possible before I make a fool of myself... :oops:

What's the best way of trying to find parts from breakers?

Are there any on the web that update their sites frequently enough?

Any recommendations for breakers around the Herts area? Watford?

I am after the heater controls from a Passat, maybe even a moonroof from

a Passat and would like to have a look at old Audi/VW/Skoda electrically

folding wing mirrors.

Please help poor me :)

P.S. I know of GPC VW & Audi, will try them soon

Rica

Kevin,

Yeah, I was reading your thread about the controls, that's why I am after a Passat control unit.

I haven't dared to prise the fascia off yet, but I get the stiff controls, the horrible grinding noise...

To make matters worse, the windscreen vent seems to be stuck since I get only half the airflow

on the passenger side, compared to the driver's side. Which means that passenger side window and

windscreen take twice as long, if not longer, to demist :(

I didn't quite understand the 'how-to' thread actually... if I get the grinding noise, I have to replace the

whole control unit, right? What if it is just the demisting I am worried about? Does that then mean I

just need to get the windscreen bowden cable from stealers?

Anyways, if you can have a look, I'd be ever so grateful Kevin!

Cheers,

Rica

The grinding noise as you turn the dial is probably the stainless detent tab which has fallen off it's mount (pictured in that thread) and under the heater direction gear wheel. I tend to remove the tab altogether as it takes very little provocation to fall off. Only downside to that is you lose the click stop at each direction, but you can feel on your face/feet when the flaps are aligned correctly, so it's no real loss imo.

The gears themselves are tough, so just by removing the detent tab will free it off and make it useable again, so no need to replace the panel unless the bowden cable mounts have sheared off!

The other grinding noise you can get comes from the heater fan itself, usually accompanied by a nice squealing/screeching noise when cold!

The reason the control panels fall apart is because the screen's bowden cable is too short and routed tightly around the gubbins behind the dash. The replacement cable is a lot longer, allowing for a more satisfactory path to the flap - and therefore less resistance on the heater controls.

That guide encompasses all the common failings and how to mod a passat panel to work in the C, but some people may have slightly different issues, which I can still help with due to having stripped my bloody heaters apart umpteed times!

Kev