Sign in to follow this  
g60rc

Renewing Top mounts/wishbone bushes

Im going to be replacing the wishbone, bushes, balljoints and top mounts on the g60 in the next week. I've phoned up VW and i'll be needing £220+ to replace wishbone/balljoints/bushes/top mounts

GSF on the other hand will cost less than half that, but just how bad are their parts? Will the wishbones from them cause any issues with tracking/strength/fitting and are the bushes and top mounts up to scratch. I'll be fitting coilovers at the same time, so i can't see old and tired 18 year old parts being better than new GSF stuff, or are they really that bad?

I'll appreciate any opinions,

Cheers

Rich

Google "made of toffee"! :lol:

Pay cheap buy twice... Have heard horror stories of GSF top Mounts lasting sub 3k

Go VAG for it all! You'll want to add ARB mounts to the list too, they'll snap when you come to take em off! If you are going Coilies go with VR6 topmounts too, slightly more hardwearing, just remember to get top-mount and bearing from VAG!

I've got the best part of 10 years on GSF top mounts (early type) nowt wrong with those and they've done 50K with hard shocks and springs, in fact I had them off recently to check everything out and there's still very little play in them. No idea if they source from the exact same suppliers now though? I don't think they were FEBI either, might have been.

The pattern drop links from ECP look a little spindly though, even compared to the rusty VW ones.

http://www.vwspares.co.uk

Much better than GSF in quality, much better than VW in price. A happy medium. 90% of my chassis has their stuff on it now.

That's all Febi bits from there.

If you have the cash go for the VW stuff, it is worth it in the long run. You uprate the rear wishbone 'doughnut' bush by using the same bit from an R32.

Thanks for the info guys,

I havn't really got the cash to be spending on the VW bits, and due to some of you thinking they may be ok i will look into other (read cheaper) options.

I realise i may be replacing things sooner, but with my cars i expect nothing less than that anyway - and it doesn't bother me too much. The main thing is that when the bits from other places working right, they aren't worse than VW bits.

Any other experiences are great.

EDIT: That VWspares sight looks useful, i will get it from there i think.

What is the general assumtion about quality of febi parts?

jst ring andy at vwspares hes great really helpful guy! and so far so good on all there parts just used about £600 quid of there stuff for my ABF rebuild all really good quality! and equally importantly the service is great

Will do then, thanks.

Well, i'm getting more parts than i was going to at VW for less than half the price, including delivery. Result. Let's hope their quality isn't too shabby.

How difficult are tie rods to change (can't see how you would do them??), and rear beam bushes?... I'm just wandering if it's worth buying the lot and having a corrado-session this weekend.

you'll need a 36mm (IIRC) spanner and Mr. T to do track rods, or do you just mean the ball joints at the end?

bushes I farmed out to a garage, cost me about £20 in labour - i supplied beam and bushes.

Well it is all ordered minus the tie rods and ends. Hopefully it will tighten things up a bit when i fit it all with some Spax coilovers, aiming to get it done at the weekend.