Sign in to follow this  
Doug W

Heater matrix recall ???

My 92 VR6 is currently having it's heater matrix replaced, at my long standing VW garage, although it has almost 200k on it, it has received full VW servicing. I have a vague recollection that the heater matrix was a recall on raddo's, does anyone know any more about this?

it would be great to find I could get this done for nothing, especially as santa has stolen all my money, Thanks.

Doug :

200,000! Good going!

Best bet would be to call VW head office with your reg number and see if your car is subject to any recalls. It's a bit of a grey area with Corrados as the matrix was supposed to have been uprated by then, but as yours is a 92, it falls in the same age group as the MK2 Golf - just, which was subject to a recall. Chances are your C got the same crappy matrix as the Golf. 93 on Corrados got a sturdier matrix.....but they still blow.

The bottom line is some dealers will honour a matrix claim, some won't.

Good luck

K

I gave VW UK a call, and they said my car was not subject to a recall, so have had to fork out the £460, for teh full repair, although this was with a £70 labour discount and £10 parts discount for being a CCGB member, but ouch.

Have now got the task of drying out the carpets, will the smell of coolant ever go??? I hope I don't have to resort to the nasty cover up smelly things.

Thanks for the help though

established through speakering to VW that my 16v golf was fitted with a thermostatic valve under a recall (works carried out 1995).

If there's water in the footwell and a small loss from the coolant bottle then could it just be the valve's bust?

Where is the valve located and is there any way of checking?

Cheers

Sorry i know these 'heater matrix' questions are dragging on a bit!

as far as I know the only valves fitted under recall were infront of the bulkhead, i.e. in the engine bay, not in the cabin. If you open the bonnet, you'll see two pipes behind the engine(gearbox side) leading into and out of the bulkhead. If these have a silver valve on the in, and a black valve on the out, then as far as I know it has had the recall carried out.

If you've water in the footwell I'd suspect something else, unless you get steam when the engine is hot!!

Chuck - thanks, I'll have a look tonight.
yep the 2 valves fitted infront of the bulkhead were a recall but these get blocked up over time with wax.my carpets were dry but heater blew cold air.the solution is to dissconect both the valves try and look through you should see the blocked wax. drill a 5mm hole in each then reconect top up water thats been lost then run car up to temp to see if everything ok.hopfully you will have warm air.heat its the future.ive felt it ..

The official recall cicular from VW (USA) states:

======================================

Recall

Circular Code: UE

April 1999

Subject: 1992-94 Volkswagen Corrado Vehicles

Equipped With VR6 Engines

Modify Engine Coolant System

Dear Volkswagen Dealer:

This is to inform you of a voluntary safety recall campaign involving 1992-94 model year Volkswagen

Corrado vehicles equipped with VR6 engines. This recall involves modification of the engine coolant

system.

Problem

Description

Volkswagen has determined that the malfunction of a coolant system component such as

the thermostat, fan belt, thermo switch, fan motor or water pump, if not serviced in a timely

manner, could cause the coolant temperature and pressure to increase significantly. An

increase in pressure could result in coolant leakage, including leakage from the heat

exchanger, in particular in high mileage vehicles. Leakage of hot coolant from the heat

exchanger could cause injury to the feet of the driver or steam up the interior of the vehicle

and temporarily impair the driver’s visibility.

Vehicle

Identification

Number

Range

The vehicles affected by this recall are within the following vehicle identification number

range:

WVWEF450_NK000001 - WVWEF450_RK003774

Please note that the above VINs represent the lowest and highest serial numbers

of affected vehicles. Use of the V-Crest campaign inquiry system will allow you to

determine whether or not a particular vehicle, within the above VIN range, requires

the corrective work.

Note: Volkswagen will not reimburse under this recall action any duplicate recall repair work.

=======================================

Note this is for the US 2.8 AAA engined cars - not sure if the same applies to the European 2.9's...

i have just had my matrix replaced as soon as i got the car back and gave it a go the main radiator blew could this be pressure in the system or just old age it has done 180000 ( 1 previous owner captain james t kirk !)

yeah but since then i found the elbow on the right side was broken and bodged with sticky stuff ?. replaced that and then found a small leak in the rad just below it, apparenltly if you get heavy with this elbow it may damage the rad.

anyway £195 + vat + fitting . bolloes to that radweld and a 60 mile caning seems to have done the trick.

only thing is i now have a low down misfire must have got water in, :? but in what ? i am gonna try some new ht leads any ideas where from :wink:

cheers