Critical_Mass

Wheel poke - pulling arches?

Hi guys,

Just after a little advise really. I've fitted some deep dish 9" wide alloys - 9" on the rear only. Now the rears have streted tyres on, but they not silly stretched - 205/40 on 9" wide alloys. The tread is under the arch and the wheel rim is poking out of the arch by 22mm (i've attached som pics). Now i know this is a huge grey area going by what i've read on ED38, but im not sure if i'll have any problems with plod or not, as like i say they arent that stuck out nor is the tyre over streched (not like some i've seen)

So, i was thinking if it came to it, i was going to see about getting the rear arches pulled. This is where i need the advice.

i) How much on average will it cost to get the rear arches pulled?

ii) Can this be done without having to have the rear arches painted (will pulling the arch crack the paint)

iii) If 'ii' is the case, how much on average will it cost to get the arches painted

and finally

iv) Is it advised to just get the rears pulled, will it look silly with only the rear arches pulled - will it be noticeable if only the rears are pulled?

I'll try get pic up tomorrow, viewing the car from the rear.

Cheers guys

Any advise appreciated.

Can't see it as a grey area mate. If you wheels/tyres stick out from the arches by nearly a inch plod will be interested and it won't pass a proper MOT.

This is a grey area, from what i've heard the tread of a tyre needs to be under the arch but it doesn't say anything about having stretch on the tyre. This then leads to Mr Plod [strike:2d2xi4wc]abusing[/strike:2d2xi4wc] using their powers to decide whether the stretch is considered dangerous with their "wealth" of knowledge on this matter and all. Depends on what type of copper you get end of the day, i had no problems running 215 on 9" wheels but i cant see 205s causing that much problems

Take a look at a website widewheels or bandedsteels i think they changed their name to, that gives you a good idea of the price. But that doesn't include paintwork being done IF paint cracks.

Apparently the person i bought the wheels off said the car they were fitted to had passed an MOT with them on. I guess i'll find out come MOT time.

The tread is completely under the arch, but its more the small amount of side wall and wheel rim that's stick out that bothers me more then the stretch. I'll get a better pic this eve, showing the amount it sticks out.

Swiftkid - did your 9" wheels stick out the arches at all?

a little bit yea, they were borbet A not sure of the offset but enough people run them to know! not sure on the ET of your wheels but plenty of people run borbets with no problems.

a little bit yea, they were borbet A not sure of the offset but enough people run them to know! not sure on the ET of your wheels but plenty of people run borbets with no problems.

Erm ET 25 i think on the rears. When you say no problems, is that including getting it through the MOT?

eeek, im worried now as i've just sold my speedlines so if it doesnt pass MOT with those alloys on im stuff - have to get a set of v.cheap alloys for MOT.

I've rang a place about getting the arches pulled/flared and was told the arches will crack. Going to send him some pics later on as i cant take the car down at the mo.

my wheels went through mot without a problem so i wouldn't worry. im sure someone will have some wheels you can borrow close by leeds, when is MOT time?

some people get away with rolling arch's if the paint is heated up properly but pulling the arches cause more stress on the arch. you can get away with it if your lucky. I think the rear corrado arch are double skinned so they take a bit of rolling and can crack easily.

Im looking at getting mine pulled, as mine poke loads when I fitted them. will need to be very careful with paint though

my wheels went through mot without a problem so i wouldn't worry. im sure someone will have some wheels you can borrow close by leeds, when is MOT time?

some people get away with rolling arch's if the paint is heated up properly but pulling the arches cause more stress on the arch. you can get away with it if your lucky. I think the rear corrado arch are double skinned so they take a bit of rolling and can crack easily.

MOT isnt for a while. But the car isnt on the road at the mo anyway.

Dude if you need wheels give me a shout.

There is a fair chance that pulling them will crack your paint. It may not but nobody will gaurantee it not to.

Can't see it as a grey area mate. If you wheels/tyres stick out from the arches by nearly a inch plod will be interested and it won't pass a proper MOT.

Yes they will probably be interested and will pay NO attention to the attached as evidence of "Poke" (not to mention Bull-bars!)

VanL2201_228x236.jpg

Mine went thru the mot and they sit out from the arches. (see my thread below in sig for recent pics)

Thats good to hear corradude.

But in regards to the cops, i just dont want 3 points and a fine :(

VAG-HAG - appreciate the offer mate, i'll bear that in mind :thumbleft:

Right guys, ive managed to take some more pics, apologies for any that are a little blurred.

Oh and i measured the edge of the arches peak to the rim of the wheel again and it isnt 22mm its more like 13mm. Maybe you guys could say if i'd have any probs with the fuzz going by the pics and your own experiences - esp those with the wide borbets.

Should be ok with that as all the tread's under the arches...

However handling *may* be a bit compromised with low-pro-stretch and camber...

Should be ok with that as all the tread's under the arches...

However handling *may* be a bit compromised with low-pro-stretch and camber...

Hmmmmm, i'll have to see how it is when i get it back on the road. Cant you get camber 'spacers' (cant remember actual name of them), to straighten the rears up a bit? At the moment im thinking that the wheels could be more hassle then they're worth.

As said the rear arches are double skinned so require more effort to roll them. Rolling them you may get away with the paint not cracking, pulling them is a proper job and needs the whole rear qtr spraying usually and I was always told to expect about £200 per side to do that.

Rolling them wouldn't pull them out any further, just roll the inner lip up to reduce tyre catching but by the look of yours I doubt you get much catching do you?

I would just leave them really, roll the arches if they catch otherwise I wouldn't bother, they should pass MOT like that.

As for camber the rear isn't adjustable so you need camber shims but they will give more negative camber rather than straighten the wheels up.

As said the rear arches are double skinned so require more effort to roll them. Rolling them you may get away with the paint not cracking, pulling them is a proper job and needs the whole rear qtr spraying usually and I was always told to expect about £200 per side to do that.

Rolling them wouldn't pull them out any further, just roll the inner lip up to reduce tyre catching but by the look of yours I doubt you get much catching do you?

I would just leave them really, roll the arches if they catch otherwise I wouldn't bother, they should pass MOT like that.

As for camber the rear isn't adjustable so you need camber shims but they will give more negative camber rather than straighten the wheels up.

No they wont rub, not quite low enough. So really no point in getting any arch work done. I guess as long as it passes the MOT ok, i'll just hope PC Plod doesnt take too much interest. :?

nice car mate, driven through biringham recently?

aha...

Slam that more, tbh thats mint wheel to arch alignment.

Cheers fella. I've not driven through Birmingham recently....

The wheel are off the car now and have been replaced with something else, they're sat in the garage if you're interested in buying - they could do with a refurb though, but they're cheap :norty:. Tyres have plenty of tread left on them too.

to get the look im after i had to roll the arches or so i thought.

i hired the arch rolling machine frmo wheel power in torquay £25v for the week, got it home took it to garage and tried to fit it , some numpty bollocks had wound it up so tight to the hub on thier car it had squashed the bolt holes so you couldnt get the bolts in!!!!

what a pisser so i spent ages filing it out so it was useable...

any way this went from bad to worse...........

P1030498.jpg

we love arch rolling especially when it cracks the paint!!

P1030500.jpg

P1030501.jpg

we love arch rolling even more when it doesnt even roll the arch!!! the metal is sooooo god damn thick on the back of the rado it just wouldnt play ball....

P1030499.jpg

the machine left the arches distorted and with cracked paint i was so overjoyed..................

P1030504.jpg

P1030505.jpg

i must say i did heat the metal up it was in a warm garage etc etc it just didnt work for me....

anyway while it was there i decided to get rid of the rubbing strips...

P1030503.jpg

P1030510.jpg

this left loads of ganky shit stuck to the doors and i had to use one of these to get it off

P1030509.jpg

P1030506.jpg

this was all good until i found out that the passenger side had been painted before and whoever painted it once it had been laqured it cant have been left to go hard because the sticky strip had eaten its way into the laquer andc left what looked like blisters all the way down the door plus the laquer had come off too.........

so as you can imagine i was relativly pissed off by this point......

P1030507.jpg

P1030508.jpg

arch pulling was next on the adgenda..............

this was a little daunting as i wasnt sure how this was going to turn out. as it happens Ben at PPI is a kin ledgend!!!!!

P1030538.jpg

we just lowerd the car and he made them fit .............

15122008074.jpg

15122008073.jpg

15122008076.jpg

looking mean as hell here just a little worried now as to how low the front is gonna be...............

15122008075.jpg

15122008078.jpg

so the idea behind all this is to make it look as stock as possible so this is a nice subtle mod, the bumper actually sticks out on both side of the car at the rear by about 1/2 - 3/4" so it made sence to make the arches flush with this... i can get my wheels on and the car still look cool...........

these are the bogging up pics...

shit myself when i saw this for the first time as it looks like there is a lot of filler there.....

16122008084.jpg

16122008083.jpg

16122008082.jpg

starting to take shape now..

16122008085.jpg

the arches are almost done they are in black primer now as ben wanted to get that bit sorted before christmas...

0_SP_A0077.jpg

0_SP_A0076.jpg

as you can see the bumper sits flush on both sides and it still looks stock...........

i cant wait to see it in the flesh....

ok folks i just managed to get some updated pics of the arches and thought id update this thread...

P1030566.jpg

P1030567.jpg

P1030568.jpg

P1030569.jpg

P1030570.jpg

P1030571.jpg

P1030572.jpg

P1030573.jpg

P1030574.jpg

P1030575.jpg

P1030576.jpg

P1030577.jpg

P1030578.jpg

P1030579.jpg

P1030580.jpg

P1030581.jpg

P1030582.jpg

P1030583.jpg

i hope this helps you out?????

out of interest to anyone the tyres used were 205/40/16 toyo proxies....

i now run 215/35/16 falkens...much better...

any question s please feel free to ask...