Sign in to follow this  
g60rc

Top mounts - And now Wishbone bush sleeves, do i need them??

Gooday,

Sounds stupid but i'm stuck building my coilovers up with new top mounts - i bought the late vr6 ones with a seperate bearing, where does the bearing go, ontop or underneath the rubber mount, and which way up?

A quick answer would be brilliant...

This type...

14116.jpg

the bearing goes underneath the top mount with the "curved" side facing upwards - if you look it should sit nicely inside the top mount...

Brilliant thanks,

Then which nut do i use, I have the slotted round one or a new one i got with the mounts.

So order is bearing on, then a nut (which one?) and then the rubber mount just sits on top and not tightened on like with earlier top mounts?

Cheers

can't remember off the top of my head sorry - if you check out my thread (Pete Griff's 'Rado R32) there is a pic of my coilovers about halfway through somehwere - have a look at that.

sorry i can't help more, but works computers are crap and i can only stay logged in for a couple of seconds...

Strut, Bearing (notched inner race facing down), top mount, shallow chamfered nut, Fit to car, metal top cap, Big nylock top nut.

how do you tighten the shallow nut though? The top mount doesn't fit over it after it is on, about 1mm too small hole. Should i just force top mount over the tightened shall nut, or use the slotted nuts i have?

yeah, i did.

How do you get down inside the mount to tighten it up, ie a spanner will not fit. Is it just a case of buying a deep socket, no other way? Or will the slotted nut be ok, but that does not hold the mount on, it just sits ontop...

R

Yeah deep socket - you might find a sparkplug or lambda socket will fit.

You can't use the slotted nut with this setup

Do the nut up until you can just about turn the rubber mount round by hand.

cool, cheers. I've just been and done it - but sounds like i need to tighten them up if they need to only just be turnable. I hadn't thought of the plug socket, i'll give it a go.

Well i tried the plug socket, and i could put it down further, but should i?

Way i see it is that i won't be making it go any closer to the spring top cap so won't be any harder to turn... or will tightening it compress the bearing so much that i can barely turn it by hand? It turns smoothly with a bit of resistance at the moment.

Well i fitted them to the car, the fronts at least, along with new wishbones that came with bushes already fitted. Couldn't replace the ball joints because i couldn't get the caliper carrier bolts out... :shrug:

One question i have though, do wishbones that come fitted with the bushes already (vwspares, febi bilstein ones) need the extra sleeve fitted? The bush on both front and rear wishbone ones have a metal sleeve with rubber surrounding it, but the bolts are not tight in them when off. No extra sleeve was supplied with them, so i just stuck them on...

Cheers

Sorry, it seems i really need to work out how to use the search better. It doesn't bring up that many replies for me...

Thanks though, thats a load of my mind. What are the specified torques for the bolts, iirc there is no haynes on the corrado - should i get a passat one, or mk2/3 golf?