Sign in to follow this  
G60Jet

Kenwood Mask Headunit WARNING

I all

I've just had to get my kenwood headunit repaired cos the tiny ribbon cable that runs to the flip face (MASK) broke leaving my stereo invisible but working!!! basically all the lights were out and it the display wasn't on, but it still played tunes!!!

Anyway, My mate has had this repair done on his twice now, and to top it all of mine was a few days out of warranty :-(

So just be warned, if your Kenwood mask unit is showing any signs of messing up, get it fixed before the warrenty runs out!!!

but they are great sounding units!!!

My pioneer did the same, where the flip front for it moved it wore away the ribbon.

After a fair bit of phoning round different suppliers I managed to get in touch with the company that made the ribbon. Shelled out £18 and spent an hour soldering it in and now it works fine again....

I've got a D Mask+ head unit that the sound cuts out on now and again - warranty expired 3 months ago though :mad: I guess this is not the same problem as yours though :?

Cheers

Mark

mark16v, Could be, depends if the sound cuts out for the same amount of time that it takes for the music to start after you turn it on!! I'm asuming its only one strand of the ribbon thats gone on mine, maybe ours is a different strand

Got the call from the auto shop today

Stereo is back and repaired, only have to pay for the transports charges apparently. Looks like the work has been done under warrenty. I'll let you all know later.

warranty expired 3 months ago though

Which warranty? They year one??

Was talking to a mate about this one, and there's a little know EU directive thing which states manufacturers must give 2 years warranty on all electrical goods...

Obviously most manufacturers haven't publicised this a huge amount, but if you trawl through your EU rights as a consumer, print out the relevant part and take it along to your dealer then you should stand better ground at getting it sorted...

Of course I found this out 25 months after I bought the stereo.

D'oh!!!! :evil:

there's a little know EU directive thing which states manufacturers must give 2 years warranty on all electrical goods...

really? That's an interesting point- makes you wonder why so many places push for extended warranties past ONE year?

The ICE is behaving itself at the moment, and I had a look at the ribbon cable and it looks fine. Maybe i've got a dodgy connection elsewhere :?

Cheers

Mark

Hi all,could you tell me what company you got the ribbon cable from and if possible their phone number as well,cheers

Yes, defenitly a design fault, I have a kenwood one I wouldnt mind getting fixed if anyone wants to do a write up or can provide info?

Can't do a write up, but the ribbon problem can give a variety of fault symptoms. Cost me £43 odd to have fixed by an auth dealer.

My Kenwood did that twice so I chucked it in the bin and bought a Sony CDX-mp70. Sounds lovely and it's got a nice slidey out draw that lights up at night :D

They used to have a high end Audio brand for domestic stuff called Trio that kit was always fantastic

Yeah remember it well :lol: Good stuff. Nakamichi and Sansui were both around then too, both good also, and hideously expensive in the case of Nakamichi!

Nakamichi's still going... and still flippin' expensive! :crazyeyes: Sound nice though... :)

Nakamichi's still going... and still flippin' expensive! :crazyeyes: Sound nice though... :)

Do you remember the Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck? It cost well over £1000 in the 80s!

To get round azimuth head alignment errors when auto-reversing, they left the heads fixed and physically pulled the tape into the machine and turned it round by some robotic means! Extravagence the Nakamichi way!

K

Do you remember the Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck? It cost well over £1000 in the 80s!

To get round azimuth head alignment errors when auto-reversing, they left the heads fixed and physically pulled the tape into the machine and turned it round by some robotic means! Extravagence the Nakamichi way!

K

:shock: :crazyeyes: :lol:

I'd not seen that one before (a bit before my car hifi days! ;) :-P ) it sounds like a masterpiece of engineering though! About right for Nakamitchi though... :roll: :lol:

The companies dont have to provide a TWO year warrenty at the moment on legally obliged to give one. However there is talk of the EU law being extended to item sold in the UK.

However as this is clearly a design fault, the sales descriptions act states "the product must be fit for the purpose for which it was sold"

Speak to kenwood direct and see what they say its worth ago.

If they still want you to pay to have it fixed you can always take them to the small claims court but its probably not worth it.

Although alot of people win if they go to the small claims court because judges sympthesise with persons and find in your favour, because no one likes a big faceless corporation.