Sign in to follow this  
G-Lad

Buying VR6 inlet manifold replacement

Excuse the newbie question, but searching isn't coming up with a simple answer..

I'm trying to work out if there are any subtle or indeed significant differences between VR6 inlet manifolds (inc plenum chamber), so I can buy a second hand one, get it soda blasted externally and ported & polished internally.

The only differences I can find are that some engines are described as OBD1 or OBD2, which seems to refer to a set of standards for On Board Diagnostics and emissions. Are there any differences between OBD1 and OBD2 engine's inlet manifolds?

if you can offer more background on what the differences are in general, that'd be interesting to know.

Also, I can't see any difference between 2.9l (ABV) Corrado VR6 inlet manifolds and 2.8l (AAA) Golf VR6 inlet manifolds.

Is there anything I need to know?

Cheers :)

Chris

2.9 has a wide neck manifold which you will notice once you flip the manifold upside down.

2.8 has a narrow neck manifold for better torque,as above you got to flip the manifold upside down to see it.

OBD2 has a different throttle body mounting/bolt mounting etc....and no idle valve on the side like obd1,so wont interchange.

Woah now James, what happened to that first one! Are you doing science or something? :dorky: :wink:

:lol: not mine bud...just googled it.

But it did catch my eye as it shows the longer inlet tracks for the front bank of cylinders.. 8)

Nice one James, good answer - thx :)

Some OBD1 Vs OBD2 pics would be top banana if poss, plz :D

The manifolds look the same bar at the throttle body end,the first pic attached shows the obd1 2.9 inlet manifold,ive ringed the idle valve take off,on obd2 this is not applicable.

On the second pic is my obd1 or obd2 adapter from SP.

The larger M8x1.25 holes is obd1 and the smaller m6x1.25 is for OBD2 (note there is multiple drillings for OBD2 on this adapter)

Third pic is an OBD2 throttle body.

Fourth is an OBD1 throttle body.