Sign in to follow this  
LowG

rear wheel noise!!!!!

my right rear wheel started making some noise sounds like 2 metal pieces rubbing. My brake pads are really low and im gonna change them 2day,but i jacked the car up and found out that the rear brake disc wasnt siting tightly had slight movements from side to side. Does this mean i need new wheel bearing? The noise comes on and off randomly but mostly comes when im driving slow, is really anoying as the noise is loud and nerve racking, has been going on for about 3 days now. Any1 else has experienced this and how much stuff is involved in changing rear wheel bearing, i also think my rear callipers are siezed :(

my right rear wheel started making some noise sounds like 2 metal pieces rubbing. My brake pads are really low and im gonna change them 2day,but i jacked the car up and found out that the rear brake disc wasnt siting tightly had slight movements from side to side. Does this mean i need new wheel bearing? The noise comes on and off randomly but mostly comes when im driving slow, is really anoying as the noise is loud and nerve racking, has been going on for about 3 days now. Any1 else has experienced this and how much stuff is involved in changing rear wheel bearing, i also think my rear callipers are siezed :(

Yes sounds like rear bearings are shot - good news is that they are £8 per side from GSF and simple to fit..... I'd do rear discs at same time to be honest....

Basically take the calipers off.... undo the bearing... slide the disc off.... the remove the bearings and carriers....replace with new stuff... chuck it all back on and do up bearings just do the washer can move... then finish it off....

A Golf Haynes manual will take you through it step by step...

Ive done it myself couple of times.

New pads, discs and bearings for rear can be had for £50 from GSF

Scott

Yes sounds like rear bearings are shot - good news is that they are £8 per side from GSF and simple to fit..... I'd do rear discs at same time to be honest....

Basically take the calipers off.... undo the bearing... slide the disc off.... the remove the bearings and carriers....replace with new stuff... chuck it all back on and do up bearings just do the washer can move... then finish it off....

A Golf Haynes manual will take you through it step by step...

Ive done it myself couple of times.

New pads, discs and bearings for rear can be had for £50 from GSF

Scott

chers mate i just bought the pads but ill go back tomorrow and get the bearings,i got new rear discs for my dads mk3 aswell, so unbeliveable the same problem has happend on both cars at the same time now you go and figure this out :roll: :roll: :mad: