Sign in to follow this  
kee

Coilovers

Hey all need a little bit of help, want some coilovers but dont wanna pay over 250 really 300 at a push. not after a mega low ride but would like that option to be avaliable. Ive seen some JOM, VMAXX and jamex anyone have experiance on these or can offer any other options? cheers all :notworthy:

Definitive suspension discussion thread:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=39334

Without sounding rude, those kits for around £250 will be pretty nasty. Ok they'll lower the car ok but the ride, from what I've read, will be not too pleasant. With suspension you generally get what you pay for. Best advice? Take the £250 and stick it in the bank until you've got enough to get a decent kit to begin with. Far better than buying cheap and regretting it!

Search through that thread above and I'm sure you'll be able to guage a general opinion of the kits at the cheaper end of the market.

heard good things about hottuning ones off ebay, cheap as chips and the handling is still pretty good.

As VR6 says really...do you really want to pay 250 for some coillies? That works out at £62.50 a corner - 31.25 for a spring and 31.25 for a damper. Call me cynical but I'd want something that cost a little bit more to produce than that. :nono:

In a mainly road used environment you'll be lucky to get a year's use out of them. They are usually sealed units that cannot be rebuilt. If they can be rebuilt you'll be lucky to find someone who will do them for you.

I used to have a set of top adjustable KONI's and EIBACH springs on my MKII when it was on the road and it handled like a dream. I wouldn't hesitate to use this set up again if I needed too. It might be worth going down that route as the height adjustment/corner weighting is of little benifit at all for road use.

If your doing any track work please disregard what I have said and wait a while and buy some more middle-top end units H&R, KW GAZ PROTECH, LEDA etc

hot tuning are tuv approved and come with a 2 year warranty.

TUV just means they are safe enough to pass the german mot, it isn't an indicator of efficiency/high build quality.

hey, its your choice buddy, personally i would save my sponduliks and go for some weitecs. in fact, that's what i did. :grin:

hot tunings a definate no no! mates got em on her polo and its the worst ride ever, units are solid and its like your back been broke over and over lol. I do like the idea of a shock and spring setup tbh, was looking into custom springs and shelf shockers. What kind of lowering do shocks take if i had custom springs made up?

Well got some cheap FK high sports for the min and guna save up for Some KW V1's. These any good for a decent ride? or have i made an :epicfail:, lol

I made the mistake of buying some VMaxx which as far as im aware are the same as the hottuning ones. I just found them really bouncy and not a very good ride. Wish i'd saved the £300 they cost me. Got KW V1s now :D

Save your cash mate. At the end of the day if you buy cheap and you are disappointed, which i've no doubt you will be, you'll only buy something else. So save the cash and get a decent set of coilies.

It might be worth going down that route as the height adjustment/corner weighting is of little benifit at all for road use.

Height adjustment is very useful on a road car imo. In my experience, Corrados (aswell as MK2s) tend to handle best with the rear set 5-10mm lower than the front (sill to floor). The height adjustment is very useful for that aswell as raising the car up for long journeys on unfamiliar roads.

Corner weighting is a waste of time on a solid rear axle anyway, imo.

Fixed struts tend not to come with compression adjustment unless you're at the top end of the market, which is a very nice to have imo.

If your doing any track work please disregard what I have said and wait a while and buy some more middle-top end units H&R, KW GAZ PROTECH, LEDA etc

Agreed, good money buys you good kit, simple as that! But the top end stuff has it's place on road cars aswell as track cars.

Gaz I wouldn't touch until they sort the zinc plating and other production quality issues out, but otherwise excellent dampers.

LEDA / Protech, very nice if you can stretch to them.

H&R Monotubes - tend to leak, not very hard wearing and sieze very easily.

KW (V3), for the money, the best I've used in the £1000 price range yet. They don't sieze, you get compression and rebound adjustment, they don't rust, they don't leak and they last well and fit well. Top Marks.

Don't forget AST. Their 3 ways are one of the best kits I've seen for a MK2/MK3 based car and at £2,500, good value. Half the price of KW's 3 ways.

I completely agree that MK2's/3's and Corrado's do handle better with some rake in the chassis but in my experience I've never noticed any significant difference with a raked/un-raked car on the road.

I've never been in the position to consider raising the ride height of a road car for a journey on un-familiar roads, but with large diameter rims I can see the benefits of it.

In my experience corner weighting does have a quantifiable effect on any vehicle with either a solid/live axle. I've built and setup both and would be very happy to go through my findings with anyone but via PM or over the telephone rather in public (Mr Carvell are you out there??? :lol: ).