Sign in to follow this  
Dave.Warlord

Getting carried away...FINISHED!!!!

Well what started out as a days work has turned into an epic. Started with a cracked piston last weekend and while waiting for my replacement to arrive I took a few bits off to have powder coated or polished. Then a few more, and a few more. Got to the point in the end where I just thought f*** it I've got this far, may as well go all the way. I'm gonna get rid of all the dirty nasty oily stuff under the bonnet.

Heres my progress so far.

DSCF2211.jpg

Good to hear there are more people in the same boat.........it's turning into an obsession........I'v gone as far as buying new bolts from the stealership for the drivetrain ++......I guess there will be more....lol......:)

we'l get there in the end.....;)

looking good i ordered new gaskets today to give my motor a bit off a clean up hopefully have most off it done soon then ill get pics up :)

Glad its not just me. I'm getting really anal though. Got all the nuts and bolts labeled in bags ready to go to my local fasteners company to change them all for stainless and another box of parts ready to go to work to be powder coated on tuesday.

Thinking of maybe getting a Mk 4 golf to tat about in so I don't have to drive my C in the rain and get it all dirty

hehe good effort, why don't you just get the whole block and tranny blinged up also :D and whilst your at it you may as well get the block overbored and some bigger pistons too

I'd love to mate but where do you stop. Just gonna powdercoat what I can and get the hamerite out for now. I gotta spare head and charger which I'm in the process of porting (Or I was before this all started :bonk: )

Plan is to get another bottom end and build a proper engine out of the car. One for the week and one for sunday best :wink:

Also bought a Saab 9000 intercooler and am in the process of having some plates lazer cut to make a custom charger outlet so I can run the boost pipes where I want to. Thinking of putting an oil cooler in the wing where the original intercooler was.

I'd love to mate but where do you stop.

dead right, my new project is the 'CCC' .... credit crunch corrado :dorky:

not mine in the pic if you thought that.

Mine is on standard speedlines, It came with some 17" borbet's but they rubbed a bit in the rear, and I think they where to big in the front, so put them over on my Passat VR6 instead.

so realy can't say, sorry..:)

I think this forum needs an OCD 'sticky' :grin:

Just off to clean my engine now. Dont think it will be coming to bits though! Well maybe just the induction and the battery out. Oh and maybe the washer bottles. Perhaps the PAS tank ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :dorky: :grin:

Keep up the good work

Matt

Did a 15 hour stint today. Mainly just cleaning and painting. Still waiting for my new pistons to arrive. The head's snapped off both the front wishbone bolts. One I can live with but two is takin the pi$$. I had them soaked in penetrating fluid over night as well. Not looking forward to tryin to sort them out. The plan was to have tomorrow off as I cant start putting the car back together untill i get the rear crossmember powder coated as its the first item to refit.

Bugger.... bang goes my lie in :censored: ... but at least my bulkhead is gleaming :D

IMG_2417-1.jpg

IMG_2420.jpg

IMG_2423.jpg

Had the same thing happen on both wishbone bolts on my TDI, I think it's because they were re-used and over-tightened as my original G60 ones just undid easily with the same force as a wheel bolt.

If you have the cross member off it should be easier - we used a cutting disk on mine, bent the metal out of the way to get to the bolt then used heat to undo and welded back up again.

It's a bit of a bodge but works fine and won't really matter if you're getting powder-coated - the other option is a new subframe, £220 ish from VW

Using 300 degree engine paint and just smooth hammerite on the tranny.

On closer inspection today the subframe looks a bit thin and weak around the front wishbone mounts. Also a few cracks. I'm scared if I try to weld it I'm just gonna blow more holes in it.

I think I may have to see if I can get a second hand one...... Anyone??

oki, do you have a picture of the block, just before you painted it?, how did you strip it down/clean it?...cheers!

No soz. I only have a piccy of the tranny before paint.

To prep it for paint though I used about 4 cans of brake cleaner and a toothbrush size wire brush.

Just used the wire brush to remove the loose rust and the brake cleaner gets rid of and oil and grease.

ok, I presume it was totaly down to bear metal?..

Also did you have any base coating on it?

Well got a subframe now (second attempt) and its in good nick.

I was blasting the upper front crossmember today ready for powercoat and I thought the rust on it was just surface. How wrong I was. Rotten as a pair

Looks like another trip to VolksMagic. Now the third in a week. Will it never end. I must have spent nearly a grand now in the last 3 weeks.

Its a good job I love it

IMG_2441.jpg

IMG_2442.jpg

sorry to see that.......looking forward to go off my shift again in 14 days time and get things going again, getting these things in for blasting and having a trip to a collegue to get them coated.......some of the drivetrain things I think I might just get coated at the place that does the blasting.....